• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The threat of Coronavirus to ECFC

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
NHS Staff, Mike, not just doctors and nurses. The low paid HCA's will be there changing and cleaning people, receptionists, porters... all just as much at risk. Plus many, many more. And they STILL have to pay to park at work, all for the pleasure of risking their health and lives!
Yes, Spanky. All of them.
I didn't know they had to pay to park.
Why?

Boyo

Our outbreak will be much worse than Italy, because by this comparative stage they had completely locked down. The hope of course is that this evidence will finally force our government to take some concrete action. Too late to avoid tens of thousands of deaths, but anything will be welcome.
Who knows? A lot of sensible people in the UK have been taking precautions for weeks already. My kids are now being home schooled, I haven't been to the office since last Monday and prior to that we were keeping our distance from others. The Government have made a right balls up of their messaging, but most people should be able to 'get it'. There are a selfish few who are ignoring the advice and thereby putting others at risk.

Italy is very different. Their social etiquette is very touchy with lots of hugging and cheek kissing. They are much more sociable across generations than ourselves. Its ideal for sharing the virus. They also have a much more concentrated population compared to the UK. Lots of people literally live on top of each other in apartments, whereas here most people live in individual houses. Also in Italy the cases are concentrated in some quite small regions in the north (I think I read 3/4 of cases are in Lombardy). That overwhelms services really fast. The cases in the UK are much more evenly spread in line with the population and thereby largely in line with service provision.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
The cases in the UK are much more evenly spread in line with the population and thereby largely in line with service provision.
I take your point, but if we don't 'flatten the curve' as a matter of urgency the spread of the virus will very quickly exceed service provision.

I'm in a WhatsApp group with a load of consultants including one who heads up the Emergency Department at a major hospital in the North West. Asked yesterday what it was like, his response was: 'Remember Blackadder Goes Fourth?'. :-(

Legohead

Banned
The fact that many people are complacent and/ or very selfish comes as no surprise. But there are many more who are good folks who self- isolate
and who try to help
And the doctors and nurses are bloody saints. How brave they are
Agree Mike. It's the majority that are doing things as they are instructed for the good of themselves and greater good of others. It's a selfish minority thank God that think they can do just what the hell they like but in human society that will always happen unfortunately. Fine them.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agree Mike. It's the majority that are doing things as they are instructed for the good of themselves and greater good of others. It's a selfish minority thank God that think they can do just what the hell they like but in human society that will always happen unfortunately. Fine them.
+/- 5% of any group are always selfish and greedy. Trouble is 5% of 40M+ "adults" (not sure they merit the term) is 2M selfish idiots.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
+/- 5% of any group are always selfish and greedy. Trouble is 5% of 40M+ "adults" (not sure they merit the term) is 2M selfish idiots.
While I don't disagree that there are a significant number who will always be selfish and greedy, I fear their numbers are augmented by many more who, while well-intentioned, simply haven't grasped what is required of them.

Legohead

Banned
They should read the story of an Irish footballer who is 28 years old, fit and ended up needing oxygen in hospital and an 8 day stay in there. Maybe then they will realise that all ages are at risk here.

Fareham Grecian

Who knows? A lot of sensible people in the UK have been taking precautions for weeks already. My kids are now being home schooled, I haven't been to the office since last Monday and prior to that we were keeping our distance from others. The Government have made a right balls up of their messaging, but most people should be able to 'get it'. There are a selfish few who are ignoring the advice and thereby putting others at risk.

Italy is very different. Their social etiquette is very touchy with lots of hugging and cheek kissing. They are much more sociable across generations than ourselves. Its ideal for sharing the virus. They also have a much more concentrated population compared to the UK. Lots of people literally live on top of each other in apartments, whereas here most people live in individual houses. Also in Italy the cases are concentrated in some quite small regions in the north (I think I read 3/4 of cases are in Lombardy). That overwhelms services really fast. The cases in the UK are much more evenly spread in line with the population and thereby largely in line with service provision.
All good points. The question I guess is whether the Italians’ speed and efficiency in shutting down the country outweighs those points. Since the UK is still not in lockdown, and the government’s communication remains truly pathetic, I would wager that it will and that our outbreak will be worse. But as you say, who knows?

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
They should read the story of an Irish footballer who is 28 years old, fit and ended up needing oxygen in hospital and an 8 day stay in there. Maybe then they will realise that all ages are at risk here.
Quite. And unless we flatten the curve pronto, in a week or two's time there will be people like the Irish footballer who won't recover because there won't be a hospital bed, less still a ventilator, for them.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
NHS Staff, Mike, not just doctors and nurses. The low paid HCA's will be there changing and cleaning people, receptionists, porters... all just as much at risk. Plus many, many more.
Indeed.
My good lady works in admin & because of shortages due to self isolation issues is pulled from pillar to post.I am seriously worried about her mental health because of the stress she is under.

One thing that I hope does reset in society once this is all over,is the rejection of some of the greed that seems to have crept in on some sections of society.
ie,some of the eye watering salaries in entertainment & many other careers which are historically out of kilter with the vast majority of working people.
The top of football would be a good place to start for that to happen.