• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Terrifying Power of the Google Ad!

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
A Sobering Tale!

Earlier to day I had reason at work to go onto a particular site (Greenham Trading Ltd as it happens) to check out a catalogue number.
On my next few visits to Exeweb, on my own PC and without even logging in, I was bombarded with banner ads for......yes, you guessed it!

I then briefly looked up the profile of Mr Dale Vance (Head of Ecotricity, Owner of FGR and overall scourge of the CSA) to check his alleged Labour Party affiliation
And now as I type lo and behold, at the top of the screen is a banner ad offering "Affordable Electric Heating"

So be afraid, BE VERY AFRAID!!!!

Although it does make me wonder what other amusing (or disturbing?) Google ads have suddenly jumped up for other Exewebbers?

One would guess that perhaps Pate is bombarded with adverts for green woolly jumpers, goalie gloves (and perhaps Specsavers)?
Jason with bargain offers for Margaret Thatcher's Biography?
Grecian in Exile with links to Curry Houses?...

Any more?

PS: Please UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES try to Google that Swiss Euthanasia Clinic...else you'll be on the PAFC mailing list for what's left of the rest of your life

And PPS: is it within the powers the mods and admin to ask Google Ad Dept to make a small adjustment to my own "account". I was searching for accessories for a 60's style Woodstock themed party and I'm (fairly) sure I typed Tie-Dyes and not Thai Brides...so could they PLEASE stop sending me these embarrassing (though still strangely tantalising) links...the missus is getting very suspicious. :(

Last edited:

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
to remove what google thinks they know about you then click here
http://www.google.com/settings/ads/

Delete your interests etc

contrabombarde

to remove what google thinks they know about you then click here
http://www.google.com/settings/ads/

Delete your interests etc
Thanks for that very useful link Lez...It works too.

Grecian2K

Thanks Lez! Bleddy good tip, old bean!

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
To be fair, while I have no interest whatsoever in Russian Brides, and have never visited any websites remotely linked to them, some of the pictures are very nice to look at so I'm happy enough!

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
its amazing what google pick up on, i was getting chinese adverts as apparently i speak mandolin!!! only when i p*****d ordering chinese

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Do you find mandolin easy? I suspect there might be a certain tune to it ...

iscalad

Plucked it out of thin air, I heard.

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Bloody auto correct!!! Mandarin

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Bloody auto correct!!! Mandarin
You on Orange broadband then?