• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Serious Torquay Thread

Ash

So that's 3 season out of the last 4 that Dean Moxey has lost in a play-off final.
The football God's are trying to tell him something, and not so subtly tbh!

Pobbop

TBH our academy guys and play-offs, is not really a great combination, Grimes and Watkins last year, Grimes again this year, Bennett, Moxey, and all the ones that have failed for us.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
TBH our academy guys and play-offs, is not really a great combination, Grimes and Watkins last year, Grimes again this year, Bennett, Moxey, and all the ones that have failed for us.
You can add JMT to the list as well for Forest Green this year. Was Deano with Crystal Palace the last academy graduate to win a play-off?

Oliver

You can add JMT to the list as well for Forest Green this year. Was Deano with Crystal Palace the last academy graduate to win a play-off?
It's quite amazing how you can win a play off final 3-1 and not get promoted because of naf officials, VAR should be present in all finals of such relevance IMO.

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
It's quite amazing how you can win a play off final 3-1 and not get promoted because of naf officials, VAR should be present in all finals of such relevance IMO.
Agree.Thought at least one of them was valid which probably would have changed the whole course of the game.There would have been a ruckus on here if it had been us.The officials must have seen something we didn’t.

andrew p long

What a dreadful way to miss out. On penalties, in sudden death after it finished level at five pens each.

Having had two goals disallowed, decisions where -even if the decisions were technically correct - the goals are allowed more often than not.

After finishing second in the table, four points clear of the side that get promoted instead. Anyone who finishes in second place with 80 points from 42 games deserves to be promoted.

Our play final defeats have been really painful but this must be agonising for Torquay fans.

Banksy

‘Our play final defeats have been really painful but this must be agonising for Torquay fans‘

It’s why we must be absolutely determined to build a team ( and win ) auto promotion.
I agree with you Andrew , but then I’ve always thought the playoff idea stinks , just a sideshow for the tv channels at the end of a season.I know that’s coloured by our own failed attempts but like you say it doesn’t seem right that a team that should have ‘earned’ promotion after a hard slog is the pushed to one side by a team below them who produces a little extra on that one day.
( That’s why I’m secretly delighted that Northampton came straight down🤪 nasty man that I am.)

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
‘Our play final defeats have been really painful but this must be agonising for Torquay fans‘

It’s why we must be absolutely determined to build a team ( and win ) auto promotion.
I agree with you Andrew , but then I’ve always thought the playoff idea stinks , just a sideshow for the tv channels at the end of a season.I know that’s coloured by our own failed attempts but like you say it doesn’t seem right that a team that should have ‘earned’ promotion after a hard slog is the pushed to one side by a team below them who produces a little extra on that one day.
( That’s why I’m secretly delighted that Northampton came straight down🤪 nasty man that I am.)
MInd you if you win the league at least you get promoted and the also rans have to fight it out. What the **** the rugby are doing bemuses me- after a season long battle you finish top of the league but you aren't champions until you play potentially two more matches - CRAZY !!!!

Banksy

MInd you if you win the league at least you get promoted and the also rans have to fight it out. What the **** the rugby are doing bemuses me- after a season long battle you finish top of the league but you aren't champions until you play potentially two more matches - CRAZY !!!!
I suppose that too is purely about money , extra gate money , tv money ,and all the extra cash they get for food , hospitality etc.

jmgull

Having had two goals disallowed, decisions where -even if the decisions were technically correct - the goals are allowed more often than not.

After finishing second in the table, four points clear of the side that get promoted instead. Anyone who finishes in second place with 80 points from 42 games deserves to be promoted.

Our play final defeats have been really painful but this must be agonising for Torquay fans.
Yep

Perfectly put.

Having said all that we played quite poorly on the day & still should have won, even allowing for the ref.
Extra time, they had gone.. completely.
That was the time to win the game.

We even beat Hartlepool 5-0 on their patch.

Still, that's sport.

We'll be up there again next season.