• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Serious Torquay Thread

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
I have a gut feeling Torquay may not be able to do it, they'll need to rely on Braintree, Maidstone and/or Woking I feel.
I too fear for Torquay, although after last season's miracle, never say never. Their last game is home to North Ferriby but they might be down by then. York have been down there all season and not sure they have enough. Woking have still got to play Maidstone (this Saturday), Sutton and York at home and after the rarest of away wins last night, there is a glimmer of optimism at Kingfield that they may escape.

Thanks for your concern regarding our plight. It hasn't been the best 4 years and it promises to get a lot worse before it gets better.

Before any ECFC fans tire or criticise the ECFC ownership model, just think of us as the alternative. Hamstrung with malevolent ownership, looking to profit from our demise. What I wouldnt give for Trust ownership in the style of ECFC.

If you want to read a bit more background on our plight, there are loads on 'Beyond the Penn Inn Roundabout' forum (you need to join to read, but I'm sure you'd be made welcome) and the torquayfans.com site.

To think that next season we could be three divisions below you - same gap as you are to the Premiership - and all so unnecessary. Good luck with your promotion push.

Last edited:

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Thanks for your concern regarding our plight. It hasn't been the best 4 years and it promises to get a lot worse before it gets better.

Before any ECFC fans tire or criticise the ECFC ownership model, just think of us as the alternative. Hamstrung with malevolent ownership, looking to profit from our demise. What I wouldnt give for Trust ownership in the style of ECFC.

If you want to read a bit more background on our plight, there are loads on 'Beyond the Penn Inn Roundabout' forum (you need to join to read, but I'm sure you'd be made welcome) and the torquayfans.com site.

To think that next season we could be three divisions below you - same gap as you are to the Premiership - and all so unnecessary. Good luck with your promotion push.
Best of luck with your struggle to avoid relegation, or worse.

Grecian2K

Echo Isca's sentiments, Granny. Non illegitimis carborundum as they say, and come back again soon - we miss the banter.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Echo Isca's sentiments, Granny. Non illegitimis carborundum as they say, and come back again soon - we miss the banter.
Me too I remember the City v United games in particular the late 1950s/60s, exciting and played with real passion but always in good spirit. As G2K has said we miss the banter which has also always been given and taken in the best of spirits.

You are still in there fighting. Fingers crossed for you and hopefully you will be able to find some form and be able to stay up.

crocks

Echo all the sentiments made above. I do miss the City - Torquay encounter. Some of the best football matches ever...

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
I don't miss the times we didn't beat them.

Exehausted

I don't miss the times we didn't beat them.
I thought that the atmosphere in Red Square yesterday was similar to the days when Torquay came to us. Good friendly banter, everyone relaxed and enjoying the spring sunshine. It was always the same with the Gulls, never any trouble really and not the harsh tribalism we get when our other "friends" from down the road turn up here. It was just how football should be yesterday.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
I thought that the atmosphere in Red Square yesterday was similar to the days when Torquay came to us. Good friendly banter, everyone relaxed and enjoying the spring sunshine. It was always the same with the Gulls, never any trouble really and not the harsh tribalism we get when our other "friends" from down the road turn up here. It was just how football should be yesterday.
Sure I can see the benefits of playing local sides with higher crowds, but it still used to annoy me if they beat us. Even if they stay up a future league meeting between us is looking a fair way off unless fortunes change quickly for one or both of us. Would be good to get them in the cup one season, if we come out on top.

EXMADCITY

Who are Torquay