• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Serious Torquay Thread

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
In your defence I think the sarcasm was obvious to most!!
Well I guess we aren't all as sharp as you clippy. Smart arse. :)

Grecian2K

Just as well we've got our very own paperclip  to hold things together then!

Last edited:

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Richard, what is your daily post average? You must be posting even more frequently than credy! I think I noticed your post count only a few months ago at around 3,000.
Like tisdale, I Haven't a clue Geoff.

Last edited:

jmgull

An uncertain but potentially far better future for us.

After a quite disastrous spell in charge, where every decision Thea made seem to go wrong...she's bailing out but taking the hit on the chin, to the tune of approx 3 million quid.

Of course, talks of returning the psf compliment we made to you, back in the day, are appreciated but their is still several very "trousered" directors involved, we are a club that has been just ran very badly albeit for the right reasons, rather than a financial basket case.

Their are apparently several outside individuals/consortium's sniffing around as well as potentially other current directors making moves too.

The power struggle begins now.

Talk of our Trust being able to take over are ridiculous, it's only just been reformed and has only a few hundred members currently, they've also publicly stated that their is no desire to take over the club, rather to help raise funds for the club and have representation on the board....more proof that Thea doesn't have much grasp on reality.

Link to today's story...

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/TORQUAY-UNITED-Chairwoman-Thea-Bristow-stand-hand/story-26150729-detail/story.html

Last edited:

elginCity

....more proof that Thea doesn't have much grasp on reality.
Harsh, JM.

Thea is correct when she says the TUST has a desire to own the club, the aim is clear on their web site.

The way I read your link, she's only suggesting TUST consider the option of joining a Consortium Mk II rather than a take over at this stage.

Last edited:

David Treharne

An uncertain but potentially far better future for us. The power struggle begins now.
Hope clearly springs eternal at Torquay United. I remember having a long correspondence and a series of meetings with Hayden Jones when he was Chair of the Trust, and the same sorts of hopes/desires/blind faith were being bandied about, and now over a decade later it's all come around again, with, yet again, optimistic faith in the power of the pocket to sort out all the issues and problems that beset the kind of football club that Torquay United is. Whatever the faults of the Trust control at Exeter (and they are many, varied and often deeply seated in the past) the fact remains that the Club has survived (several times only just) without the pocket of a well trousered philanthropist for twelve years. I do hope that the newly revived Supporters Trust will not shy away from looking for support/ideas and suggestions from the club up the A380, so that they can help sustain Torquay United whilst it endures the spectacle of yet another potentially unpleasant round of blood letting, finger pointing, promises made to be broken and blind optimism about its future.

Grecian Max

I like Torquay, good away day, decent ground etc

As soon as they brought in 2 relegation spots however, this was always going to happen. They've found the level and they would have been established around the Conference/Conf South if it wasn't for the lack of promotion places pre-2003. Unlike us, they don't have a large enough base level of support to be a long term FL club, especially after they screwed up bouncing back when they did. Good luck to them, but if we play them on a regular basis again it'll be in the non league.

Grecian_Jay

They don't want Hargreaves and anyone with a braincell here doesn't want Tisdale. I see a swap on the cards!

jmgull

Harsh, JM.

Yeah maybe...

Our recently reformed trust only has 100 or so members apparently, so it's not going to be a serious player this time around.

I understand that many of you believe totally in the Trust model, not a fan myself but that's just my personal opinion.

You lot seem to have had years of infighting and financial problems and you've got what? 3000 members....what chance have we got?

Thankfully, I guess you found a million pound player in your youth set up to bail you out of more loans, we can't even get one in the 1st team as a regular yet.

If it was a financial armageddon for us and it was the only option then fair enough, I'd have to get behind it.

Last edited:

Langer

Hargreaves been given good backing but not really getting anywere is he time for change Ling anyone ?