• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The season thus far

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
A decent squad compiled. Money talks and most of the new additions look good to me. If it clicks we will do really well. For me the issue is still the midfield. I think the keeper and defence are fine as long as the midfield help to defend when necessary and I think the attacking players are fine, but again, the midfield need to find them, especially Nombe. I like Dieng, and I would play him with Taylor personally just to see if they can strike a partnership, but I suspect Collins is considered undroppable by the manager when fit

Oldsmobile-88

Early days.Lets see what position the Grecians are in around the New Year.Too often in the past few seasons,fans as is their want,get too carried away with good form in the first third of the season,get the Champers on ice,then the team inevitably fall away.
The best team I’ve seen recently was the 16/17 squad,they were bottom in November then missed the autos by a whisker.
I’m happy with the league position & the way the squad is shaping at the moment.It looks like MT has made a few shrewd signings.
Too many draws perhaps.Many other teams are doing the same at the moment.Not much ground being lost on the last automatic position.

STURTZ

Doubt if we will ever be as well off, compared to fellow league 2 teams as we are now. I think if we can't capitalise then questions should be asked of MT. Quite happy with the players, not sure they are being used efficiently.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Doubt if we will ever be as well off, compared to fellow league 2 teams as we are now. I think if we can't capitalise then questions should be asked of MT. Quite happy with the players, not sure they are being used efficiently.
That's pretty much my view. B+ ? so far.

Memphis09

Now in my 56th season of watching and following City, like many 'old farts', I've probably seen it all over the years. The bad times have generally tended to outweigh the good times, but those rare good times are more special because of the bad. It all comes with the territory of following a lower league club. Ask supporters of many of the clubs in L2, some of which were in the old Division 4 (equivalent of L2) when I started watching City all those years ago.

In my opinion, there are few stand out teams in L2 most seasons and this one is no exception. You could point to Vegans United as the exception that proves the rule, but it is a long old season and there remains plenty of time for things to change, possibly quite dramatically.

I haven't looked back to see the last time that we only lost one of our opening 12 games, but my money is on it being a long time ago. Yes, the eight draws are bloody frustrating but imagine for a moment if we had lost them all. The squad probably changed more in the last closed season than it has in a very long time. It will take this squad a while to get to gel, that is inevitable. We have kept clean sheets in six of those twelve games.

I really do believe that we will start winning matches again soon and the tide will turn. It just needs the players to believe and all of us to get behind them (the noise and support from the big bank yesterday was class throughout). Let us put our faith in the squad and let's not start criticising players too much and too harshly. I believe that, unlike in some past seasons, they are, to a man, giving their all when they're out there wearing the shirt. They want to win every time and we want them to. The applause they received after yesterday's match was really encouraging and I think it showed that the vast majority of fans present recognised that they did their best and gave their all.

Onwards to Crawley......
Totally agree I have been going for over sixty years and like you have seen some very dark days
We are not far away from being a good side but the manager needs to settle on what formation and which players fit that formation

Memphis09

On yesterday alone, I'd say the key to yesterdays (non) performance was Collins. He looked rusty and didn't trust himself with any cutting passes despite getting in the right sort of areas to deliver. I know he needs matches to get himself up to speed but if he isn't doing it during the game then get Taylor on and let him have a crack at it. Like you say, the options are there from the bench. If it ain't working, change it. We aren't looking at a match day squad thinking 'how are we going to change it' any more.
I was shouting for Taylor to replace him after an hour he looked very leggy

Rosencrantz

Seeing as a few question marks were being thrown his way on here in the transfer window, I feel that the subsequent quality of signings that seem generally to be accepted now should have a few plaudits going the way of Marcus Flitcroft.

Grecian_Matt

Season is very difficult to judge..
We have only lost 1 game all season, which must be some sort of record at this stage.

However we have drawn way too many, and as a result are sitting lower in the table than perhaps we should be - Not killing off games, like for instance Stevenage, they were poor and absolutely there for the taking.

If we can start turning these draws into the odd win then we would be in contention for the autos.

There is still a long way to go in the season, but I am unsure if Taylor is the man to turn it around, as we normally fade than improve as the season goes on.

I really hope we can push and get into the Play-Offs or Autos, but if we don't then we need to move MT on and get a manager capable of getting us out of L2.

Red Devon

Season is very difficult to judge..
We have only lost 1 game all season, which must be some sort of record at this stage.
Season 1986/87 We didn’t lose until November 1 - We finished the season with our record number of draws!

Antony Moxey

Average. Plain, boring, dull average.