• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The season thus far

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes..The first season it was used.Did you travel up on the coach for that game John ?
Yes, It must have been Dartline then.

Oldsmobile-88

Yes, It must have been Dartline then.
It was the season before Darkie ran the Dartline coach to games.
The club ran the travel to that one.

andrew p long

I do love to see these cuttings from 'Pink-uns', if only to look at the teams in the two lower leagues and realsie where they are - or are not - now.
Something comforting about the old 'Football' papers, i remember walking, quite fast, down to Barnes the Newsagents in Crediton to be there when the football papers were dropped off by the bus from Exeter. They were a bit like Dr Dave's weather reports, a reminder that its Saturday again and football day.
me too. On a quick count up I think two teams below us then are currently in the Premiership, three in that division are in the Championship but seven are non league!

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Back on topicish, currently fourth - good, break from the league this weekend with FA Cup tie at Bradford, then Wednesday Pizza game against the Gas, then back to league match then a mid week match and then a Saturday match and if we draw on Saturday we shall be having another mid week match followed by a Saturday match, so why have we got a friendly against Bournemouth tomorrow, perhaps to hone up the match fitness of the whole squad ahead of this potentially busy schedule?

andrew p long

Back on topicish, currently fourth - good, break from the league this weekend

so why have we got a friendly against Bournemouth tomorrow, perhaps to hone up the match fitness of the whole squad ahead of this potentially busy schedule?
on topic-ish still(!) MT says its because of all the players who need game time. So the likes of Grounds,Rowe,Kite,Coley,Edwards,Amond.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I have just had a look at how we compare now to where we have been in the table after 15 league games under MT's previous seasons as manager. they are remarkably similar.

After 15 games with MT as manager
21/22 - 4th Position - 5 points from top
20/21 - 3rd Position - 3 points from top
19/20 - 6th Position - 4 points from top
18/19 - 3rd Position - 4 points from top

Notoriously strong starters but fade away after Xmas and struggle to get over the finishing line. Here's hoping that a stronger squad and improved home pitch can see us good this year.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
I have just had a look at how we compare now to where we have been in the table after 15 league games under MT's previous seasons as manager. they are remarkably similar.

Notoriously strong starters but fade away after Xmas and struggle to get over the finishing line. Here's hoping that a stronger squad and improved home pitch can see us good this year.
Interesting, like you mentioned I think the improved pitch and squad should earn us even a couple more wins which can be all the difference.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster

Interesting stats…

I agree, the squad depth *should* give us a better likelihood of lasting the pace and the pitch hopefully holding up will really help too.

December looks to be a very tough month on paper and if we come through that with a good haul, I will be even more hopeful…But then it’s the hope that kills you :ROFLMAO:.

Another big help will be if we have a quiet January in terms of outgoings. Sadly, there’s bound to be interest in the likes of Key and Jay, so we’ve just got to hope they stay and also aren’t affected by any potential interest. I am wary that both Dawson and Amond have recall clauses, so if we can keep them (and everyone else) I don’t see MT needing to dip into the market and we can have a settled squad till May.

Boyo

I'd be interested to see the actual number of points across all four seasons.

To me it feels like we've got ourselves in a really good position, without actually playing consistently well. Sign of a good team, or a sign we'll finish outside the playoff again?

denzel

on topic-ish still(!) MT says its because of all the players who need game time. So the likes of Grounds,Rowe,Kite,Coley,Edwards,Amond.
In hindsight, giving the likes of Coley and Podge some game time didn't work out badly!