• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The season thus far

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I just have a feeling of 2016/17 all over again but starting from a higher base than we had that season when we finally clicked. Hopefully that higher base will mean a higher finish as well.

Grecian Max

High quality squad. Lots of options. Matt Jay a unique player in this league, Brown generally excellent and a big money striker who looks the part and now regularly scoring in Nombe.

Been let down tactically again this year, I have hope only due to our players being very decent for this level, but I reckon there will be teams finishing above us with a more limited selection to pick from but a better manager. See Morecambe last year as an example.

When it clicks we look superb but that’s always been the case under Taylor. We just don’t seem to have the extra thing to get promoted and I worry this is going to continue. Yesterday I was thinking surely we’re going to score a winner here and get a long awaited 3 points but once again we couldn’t quite do it.

Frustrating Groundhog Day but the football is still much more my cup of tea than Tisdales pass pass pass into oblivion.

grecIAN Harris

High quality squad. Lots of options. Matt Jay a unique player in this league, Brown generally excellent and a big money striker who looks the part and now regularly scoring in Nombe.

Been let down tactically again this year, I have hope only due to our players being very decent for this level, but I reckon there will be teams finishing above us with a more limited selection to pick from but a better manager. See Morecambe last year as an example.

When it clicks we look superb but that’s always been the case under Taylor. We just don’t seem to have the extra thing to get promoted and I worry this is going to continue. Yesterday I was thinking surely we’re going to score a winner here and get a long awaited 3 points but once again we couldn’t quite do it.

Frustrating Groundhog Day but the football is still much more my cup of tea than Tisdales pass pass pass into oblivion.
On yesterday alone, I'd say the key to yesterdays (non) performance was Collins. He looked rusty and didn't trust himself with any cutting passes despite getting in the right sort of areas to deliver. I know he needs matches to get himself up to speed but if he isn't doing it during the game then get Taylor on and let him have a crack at it. Like you say, the options are there from the bench. If it ain't working, change it. We aren't looking at a match day squad thinking 'how are we going to change it' any more.

DB9

I always think after 10 games or so we have a better idea and so far we're a "C-" at best, Our defence is not as solid as it should be imho, Conceding too many goals, Dawson is really good, Yesterday i think was "One of them days" for him, He's done enough to keep us in games this season so i can let yesterday slide (Unless it becomes frequent) MT as a former defender you'd think he'd be on top of this but like last season he isn't and I'd love to know why

I do worry when a Goalkeeper is in line for MOTM, To me that means those in front of him have let him down, Dawson is really way above L2 level, The front guys are doing ok and we're scoring which is really good, Midfield, There is no one who seems to command this area and grab it by the scruff of the neck.

There is still 3/4 of the season to go and we could really do well and when you look at the team on paper it does look pretty good, Why though we seem to just fall short I'm not sure but lets see where we are come May, I also think this is a huge season for MT, He's bigged up his budget in April and these players he's signed have got to deliver IMHO, I personally don't want a play off place again, I'll take it if thats where we'll end up but surely with this team we should be looking at top 3? Failure for a top 7 spot then i think rightly questions will have to be asked about the management team.

If we want to develope as a club and get promoted and stay there, We can't accept being the nearly men of L2, As some have said if people wanted MT out as well then some above should look at their positions too because they are in control of the purse strings and although they have no financial stake in the club it doesn't mean they are exempt from considering their positions within the club.

Banksy

I don’t think Matt Taylor will be going anywhere even if we finish in the bottom half of the table....the contentment with League Two football was clear to see in last weeks Investment Proposal statement.
That’s alright then. League Two it is for the foreseeable if we’ve got no ambition. Forget increasing the gates because we won’t with that sort of attitude , apart from the die hard fans the rest may well find other things to do with their hard earned cash. I can’t believe that a comfortable League Two place is really the extent of our long term ambition.

ExmouthMart

Taylor will only go if we drop out the League. Even then he would probably be on 18 months ‘gardening leave’ to cushion the blow. Judge him at the end of the season. No need to panic. We are not terrible or in free fall. We have some really good players. Hopefully they will see us through to the finish line.
My one real worry is if say Nombe has a clause in his contract that he can go if we get an offer that matches an agreed fee when he signed. Same for Brown. Big problem if they went in January.

DB9

Taylor will only go if we drop out the League. Even then he would probably be on 18 months ‘gardening leave’ to cushion the blow. Judge him at the end of the season. No need to panic. We are not terrible or in free fall. We have some really good players. Hopefully they will see us through to the finish line.
My one real worry is if say Nombe has a clause in his contract that he can go if we get an offer that matches an agreed fee when he signed. Same for Brown. Big problem if they went in January.
You're saying a lot of "What if's" there Mart, We're only 1/4 way through, Its not like we're adrift at the bottom, Yes we have work to do, Especially in defence and MT has to be the one to bear responsibility as manager for that. Like you I'm disappointed and it has to be addressed but honestly there is no need to hit the panic button yet.

ExmouthMart

You're saying a lot of "What if's" there Mart, We're only 1/4 way through, Its not like we're adrift at the bottom, Yes we have work to do, Especially in defence and MT has to be the one to bear responsibility as manager for that. Like you I'm disappointed and it has to be addressed but honestly there is no need to hit the panic button yet.
I am not disappointed. This is Exeter City after all. The scenario with say Nombe is just something that could throw a spanner in the works. Expectations are way too high with some people and they need a reality check.

DB9

I am not disappointed. This is Exeter City after all. The scenario with say Nombe is just something that could throw a spanner in the works. Expectations are way too high with some people and they need a reality check.
We don't know any details of players contracts, I'm hoping the club has learnt from past experiences.

ExmouthMart

We don't know any details of players contracts, I'm hoping the club has learnt from past experiences.
I would imagine there’s something like that in his contract. He hasn’t come here to see out his career! It’s a step back to get going again and move on to bigger and better things. Hopefully there will be a profit in it for us. Undisclosed obviously……..