• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Probability Thread 2021 … now with website: probs4.club

The Probability Thread has returned and with the help of lockdowns and a general stay-at-home mentality I have managed to totally re-write the calculations, expand the charts and create a website to host said charts.
The website is … http://www.probs4.club (the home page is fairly naff … so do look beyond it)
The website covers the top four English leagues, the most important links are:
The calculation has been refined slightly, but are still based on:
  • Season Form (points per game, Home & away)
  • Current Form (last six home & away games, weighted so more recent games have more influence)
  • Plus a random factor, as we know whatever has happened up to now can only be a guide to the future (e.g. Carlisle, Bolton & Bradford since end of January), the random factor hopefully gives a realist spread to the possible outcomes.
It does not take into account, injuries or suspensions of star players, new manager or the “with all the money {team-x} has spent surly they should be doing better”.

I’m sure my calculations/model is not perfect, but I have plans to run the calculations against previous seasons to refine and improve my model, but that will be for next season.

I still have plans to add a couple more chart over the next few weeks.

Hope you enjoy the website, feel free to ask questions and to share the website with others.

**** this post marks the official go live of probs4.club ****

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Brilliant GoT. I was only thinking at lunchtime it must be about time for a probability thread!

So 72 points for play offs and 80 points for a high chance of promotion

22 and 30 points from 15 games respectively. 30 looks very tough (W9 D3 L3) but 22 is very achievable.

Forgot to mention:
Charts are interactive, tooltips popup when hover over data points & series highlighted when hover over legend.

Website is hopefully usable on mobiles.

Charts don't appear to work if you are using Internet Explorer, advice ... don't use Internet Explorer :)

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
The Probability Thread has returned and with the help of lockdowns and a general stay-at-home mentality I have managed to totally re-write the calculations, expand the charts and create a website to host said charts.
The website is … http://www.probs4.club (the home page is fairly naff … so do look beyond it)
The website covers the top four English leagues, the most important links are:
The calculation has been refined slightly, but are still based on:
  • Season Form (points per game, Home & away)
  • Current Form (last six home & away games, weighted so more recent games have more influence)
  • Plus a random factor, as we know whatever has happened up to now can only be a guide to the future (e.g. Carlisle, Bolton & Bradford since end of January), the random factor hopefully gives a realist spread to the possible outcomes.
It does not take into account, injuries or suspensions of star players, new manager or the “with all the money {team-x} has spent surly they should be doing better”.

I’m sure my calculations/model is not perfect, but I have plans to run the calculations against previous seasons to refine and improve my model, but that will be for next season.

I still have plans to add a couple more chart over the next few weeks.

Hope you enjoy the website, feel free to ask questions and to share the website with others.

**** this post marks the official go live of probs4.club ****
No wonder you're winning the betting competition. .

Brilliant GoT. I was only thinking at lunchtime it must be about time for a probability thread!

So 72 points for play offs and 80 points for a high chance of promotion

22 and 30 points from 15 games respectively. 30 looks very tough (W9 D3 L3) but 22 is very achievable.
Autos do look a tough target, looking at it as a range:
slim ~10% 75pts wdl: 7/4/4
to mid point ~50% 78pts 8/4/3 or 9/1/6 (if we stop drawing)
to very likely ~90% 81pts 9/4/2 or 10/1/5

We did get 27pts from our first 15 games (7/6/2) repeat that & City would have 77pts (31.5% autos)

You're right Autos will be tough!

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thanks GoT. Backs up what I guess a lot of us are thinking; we have a pretty good chance of making the play-offs but the autos look unlikely.

Max Payne 2

The sort of year where we either break our playoff finals curse by not making it to the final (First time ever) or winning the lot (1/5).

chunkymorrinmunter

Even the Devon Bowl ?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Even the Devon Bowl ?
Not sure that's still going this season. What about the FA Youth Cup?

Trapdoor

Need to win 2 out of every 3 games for the rest of the season. Unrealistic. I expect us to just about scrape into the playoffs again and have another year of disappointment.