• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Politics Thread USA Edition

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
The shop assistant thought it might be counterfeit. I'm not sure it was ever actually established whether it was or not.
I have not heard or read that so can't confirm either way.

Mr Jinx

I know it's in the Wail, but it's by Andrew Neill, who the Left have taken to their hearts recently. He quite succinctly describes the slow decay of America...

DB9

I know it's in the Wail, but it's by Andrew Neill, who the Left have taken to their hearts recently. He quite succinctly describes the slow decay of America...

Ouch!!! That is some dissection of America today. As they say over there #LetsgoBrandon

Alistair20000

Brillo’s article keeps crashing when I try to read it. This is fairly common with newspaper websites and annoying.

As for Biden, Uncle Sam has elected an utterly useless President.

angelic upstart

It's a decent article. A little unfair to blame it all on Biden, as it's clearly been happening since Clinton was in power. Albeit at a slower pace.

Funny place is the USA. It's like a massive EU but without the working time directive and annual holiday.

Spoonz Red E

It's a decent article. A little unfair to blame it all on Biden, as it's clearly been happening since Clinton was in power. Albeit at a slower pace.

Funny place is the USA. It's like a massive EU but without the working time directive and annual holiday.
USA has always been less squeamish about corporate money and rich men directly financing the political process.
With all the concomitant disadvantages as regards social welfare.
Why risk profit when you can sell the world a coke and teach them all to sing?

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
So the Supreme Court might be overturning Roe vs Wade this week, I.e. possibly making abortion illegal again. It seems extraordinary that it's even a discussion in a western country this century, but there we are. With a huge majority of Americans supporting the right to abortion (80%+ in most polls), are the very conservative Supreme Court about to hand the midterms (and possibly the 2024 election) to the Democrats? And a likely rejigging of the Supreme Court not far behind? Let's watch and see...

Mr Jinx

So the Supreme Court might be overturning Roe vs Wade this week, I.e. possibly making abortion illegal again. It seems extraordinary that it's even a discussion in a western country this century, but there we are. With a huge majority of Americans supporting the right to abortion (80%+ in most polls), are the very conservative Supreme Court about to hand the midterms (and possibly the 2024 election) to the Democrats? And a likely rejigging of the Supreme Court not far behind? Let's watch and see...
It's a real interesting one.

I can't remember who made the link - Malcolm Gladwell perhaps - but there's one that claims the drop in crime and delinquency in the US which was seen to start in the mid 1970's was down to abortions being made legal. Something along the lines of less unwanted children in the land. A bit tenuous especially when you couple it with the other one of the phase out of leaded petrol which started in the 80s.

If abortion is made illegal again, then it'll just force it underground and backstreet. And I'm guessing there'll be more unwanted children in the land with all that that entails.

It's quite short sighted.

dontpassback

Kamala Harris looks like she is on dodgy ground !

Mr Jinx

Kamala Harris looks like she is on dodgy ground !
You mean dodgier ground. But why, pray tell?