• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Pitch

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think this is because the IP Stand is in shade for much of the year, which obviously restricts grass growth. Now that the dugouts are that side too, it means the footfall with subs warming up etc is greater too.
It was quite amusing to watch the "linos" trying to run in the mud and water in times past.

StroudGrecian

Is this some kind of joke? Surely, the old pitch is dug up, not killed off with weedkiller?!
Quite - I find the idea that excessive quantities of weedkiller were sprayed all over the pitch prior to the final game utterly depressing and with scant regard for the environment, as well as sounding highly risky from a H&S viewpoint. Without wishing to harp on about FGR, they have shown that it is perfectly possible to maintain a great playing surface entirely organically.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
New video! can't quite see which bit was the re-seeding!

Does this answer people's questions?

muppetdodger

Does this answer people's questions?
Yes, very shallow removal for minimal disturbance, so the roots of the invasive grass have to be killed off or they just grow back. Quick and easy reseed!

Boyo

Quite - I find the idea that excessive quantities of weedkiller were sprayed all over the pitch prior to the final game utterly depressing and with scant regard for the environment, as well as sounding highly risky from a H&S viewpoint. Without wishing to harp on about FGR, they have shown that it is perfectly possible to maintain a great playing surface entirely organically.
I don't think there's any evidence that we used "excessive" product, and what we did use may have been organic, for all we know?

muppetdodger

I don't think there's any evidence that we used "excessive" product, and what we did use may have been organic, for all we know?
Possibly, but very much doubt it. However people always make ridiculous statements like 'excessive' product and 'scant regard for the environment'. The product at minimum dose is designed to kill the grass and thats not excessive. And if, as I very much think it will have been, it was applied in the correct and lawful manner it is no threat to anyone. No club can afford not to do things legally and there are very strict rules. In reality you can roundup a field of grass on a farm and seven days later cut it for silage or even graze stock on it.

StroudGrecian

Roundup was mentioned - glyphosate certainly is not organic.

StroudGrecian

Possibly, but very much doubt it. However people always make ridiculous statements like 'excessive' product and 'scant regard for the environment'. The product at minimum dose is designed to kill the grass and that's not excessive. And if, as I very much think it will have been, it was applied in the correct and lawful manner it is no threat to anyone. No club can afford not to do things legally and there are very strict rules. In reality you can roundup a field of grass on a farm and seven days later cut it for silage or even graze stock on it.
It is perfectly possible to manage a football pitch organically without resorting to weedkillers so yes I'm afraid if that has happened at SJP then I do consider it excessive and with scant regard to the environment.

Andy Holloway

Roundup was mentioned - glyphosate certainly is not organic.
By Muppet not Chaz. Let's wait for the official word from those who do know not those who 'think' they do know!

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
I'm sure you could always pop along to SJP and ask Chaz n Co in person if you feel this strongly about it ? After all I should think with his expertise in this area and knowing exactly what he can and cannot use to H&S standards by now.