• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Pitch

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
The pitch is a massive leveller and makes it easier for teams like Harrogate to turn up and win. It needs addressing as a priority, especially if we get money for a sale in the summer.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
The pitch is a massive leveller and makes it easier for teams like Harrogate to turn up and win. It needs addressing as a priority, especially if we get money for a sale in the summer.
I would be surprised if this was not high up on the list of potential candidates for capital investment at the club.

Taylor is a surprisngly good finisher, especially from that range so, yes I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

The pitch was awful.
and probably caused him to get an injury when in fairness he has hardly missed a game in 5 years here. The pitch is dreadful said it before and saying it again - needs addressing as a matter of some urgency.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Has the pitch got worse since Tisdale left with his roller ??

JCWhoosh

I agree, our pitch is poor. However, Newport's pitch is probably the worst in the league but they seem to be doing ok in 2nd position. Just need a way to grind out these 1-0 wins (take yesterday as a great example). Doesn't always have to be pretty but would take a scrappy win anyday

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
I agree, our pitch is poor. However, Newport's pitch is probably the worst in the league but they seem to be doing ok in 2nd position. Just need a way to grind out these 1-0 wins (take yesterday as a great example). Doesn't always have to be pretty but would take a scrappy win anyday
That's an interesting point. For years we've had a manager that wants to play passing football and fills his team with players rather than fighters (Tisdale and KMT) but we've had a pitch that inhibits this and we've always come up just short of promotion. Would we have been more successful with a team more like Newport or Wycombe, playing a style that suits our pitch? Maybe, but it would have been horrible to watch and arguably we wouldn't have brought through so many proper young players who earned us lots of money and effectively kept the club afloat. I'm glad we're doing what we do and just hope that we can invest some serious cash in the pitch in the near future, when we get some more receipts from Brentford.

grecianstew

And has had fortunes thrown at it in the past few years. I appreciate egg chasing has worsened the problem, nevertheless other teams groundshare without difficulties.Just proves that when faced with difficult geographical concerns the solution is not so simple as emptying barrowloads of cash on the grass - and then having to top it up with extra barrowloads every season.

Red Devon

That's an interesting point. For years we've had a manager that wants to play passing football and fills his team with players rather than fighters (Tisdale and KMT) but we've had a pitch that inhibits this and we've always come up just short of promotion. Would we have been more successful with a team more like Newport or Wycombe, playing a style that suits our pitch? Maybe, but it would have been horrible to watch and arguably we wouldn't have brought through so many proper young players who earned us lots of money and effectively kept the club afloat. I'm glad we're doing what we do and just hope that we can invest some serious cash in the pitch in the near future, when we get some more receipts from Brentford.
I’d like to see investment in the pitch but the home record suggests that it isn’t really too much of a problem since MT took charge...we will still lose matches at home whatever happens to the pitch in the future...teams like Wycombe, Lincoln, Newport all had good ball playing players in their sides despite their playing style...back to last night I’d say Matt Gilkes in the Bolton goal was MoM and did more to stop us from winning than the pitch.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
back to last night I’d say Matt Gilkes in the Bolton goal was MoM
I thought he looked poor.

Colesman Ballz

Football is an open air game, played throughout the winter months, it will always suffer to a greater or lesser extent from the vaguaries of the weather. Instead of going to war with mother nature, either accept it, or adopt a more radical approach, ie switch the season to the summer months, although even this isn't without it's problems ie the pitch would need constant watering to stop it drying out rock hard ! :)