• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Pitch

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
There was a programme in the TV series Richard Hammond whatever... when he visited the New White Hart Lane Stadium, now there is a pitch and a half! Removable on 3 3000 ton trays and can then be stored in their underground car park to allow all the 'pitch area' to be used for American Football. It can be stored for anything up to 13 days, and has special lights etc to keep it in tip top condition, there is even one of those computer operated mowing machines!
As to cost, goodness knows but more than a few quid!!
No change out of £20 million for that pitch. That could keep us going at last season's spend rate for a good few years. Talk about the haves and the have nots!

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
I’m afraid unless we get a huge windfall and invest in a Desso Grassmaster type pitch it will always get a bit muddy after a Christmas.
Matt Taylor said a few months back before lockdown this type of pitch was his preferred option if we’re going to spend serious money on an upgrade.

Benguin

Matt Taylor said a few months back before lockdown this type of pitch was his preferred option if we’re going to spend serious money on an upgrade.
Would make sense. I wondered if we got a 3 or 4 million cut of any Ollie transfer, the third of this earmarked for infrastructure under the budget formula would go on a Desso type pitch.

Red Devon

Would make sense. I wondered if we got a 3 or 4 million cut of any Ollie transfer, the third of this earmarked for infrastructure under the budget formula would go on a Desso type pitch.
Some on here won’t like it but I think MT said you can get one for around the £1 Million mark with a ten guarantee.

Benguin

Some on here won’t like it but I think MT said you can get one for around the £1 Million mark with a ten guarantee.
That is my understanding of the general cost. The one at Ashton gate always look immaculate. But then they have a billionaire owner!

Red Devon

That is my understanding of the general cost. The one at Ashton gate always look immaculate. But then they have a billionaire owner!
I guess it would all come down to the cost of yearly maintenance re seeding, drainage work maybe even re turfing a two or three times..plus all the match income lost through Saturday postponements over the ten year period compared to the large initial outlay for a Desso type pitch.

Benguin

I believe around 20 million artificial fibres are woven in by a computer guided machine. This stabilises the sub structure meaning when a player goes into a tackle for example it does not cause as much damage to the real grass. I think drainage is still essential though and even with the Desso pitch at Newport they have experienced some mud issues because of the worse than ideal drainage conditions. Maintenance is fairly standard i think. Ps 3% artificial grass is the maximum allowed by the league.

Attachments

Andy_H

It, Ashton Gate, is also used by Bristol Bears rugby team, also owned, incidently, by Mr Landsdowne, he of Hargreaves Landsdowne!

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wonder if the club have considered talking to the Chiefs, I understand they have a Desso Grassmaster pitch.
Perhaps, much as it might pain many here to do, we could have it next time they relay it (if it’s reusable of course).

I’m sure Chelsea or one of the other Premiership clubs has done similar with a lower league neighbour in previous seasons.

Benguin

I wonder if the club have considered talking to the Chiefs, I understand they have a Desso Grassmaster pitch.
Perhaps, much as it might pain many here to do, we could have it next time they relay it (if it’s reusable of course).

I’m sure Chelsea or one of the other Premiership clubs has done similar with a lower league neighbour in previous seasons.
You can’t unfortunately reuse it. It is essentially a normal grass pitch with artificial fibres woven in. Clubs like a Chelsea have paid for Desso pitches to be laid so their reserves etc can play on a quality pitch away from The Bridge. All clubs sharing with rugby clubs like the new Brentford ground or York City have them installed as standard.