• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Pitch

milts

Tisdale's recent comments:

The Grecians’ St James Park pitch has become heavy over the last month due to the wintery weather but, paying tribute to City estates manager Clive Pring for the job he does in making it playable, Tisdale says his side will have to make the best of things.

He said: “We are going to be at the mercy of the weather this winter because we’ve got an old-fashioned pitch.

“We’re one of a few clubs with an old-fashioned soil pitch – Clive Pring does a fabulous job making the best of it but we are unfortunately going to have a pitch that won’t play like a contemporary pitch like most of our competitors.

“I think it’s something we have to accept and make the best of.

“We can’t afford a new pitch, it’s not something the club would be able to afford, so I think we just have to accept that’s what we have and make the best of it.”

Am I mistaken or have we not relaid the pitch twice in recent years?

dontpassback

I do believe you are correct,I certainly think it was relaid at least once not long ago,maybe twice,do why it doesn't appear to have held up well ought to be investigated at the very least !

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
Tisdale's recent comments:

The Grecians’ St James Park pitch has become heavy over the last month due to the wintery weather but, paying tribute to City estates manager Clive Pring for the job he does in making it playable, Tisdale says his side will have to make the best of things.

He said: “We are going to be at the mercy of the weather this winter because we’ve got an old-fashioned pitch.

“We’re one of a few clubs with an old-fashioned soil pitch – Clive Pring does a fabulous job making the best of it but we are unfortunately going to have a pitch that won’t play like a contemporary pitch like most of our competitors.

“I think it’s something we have to accept and make the best of.

“We can’t afford a new pitch, it’s not something the club would be able to afford, so I think we just have to accept that’s what we have and make the best of it.”

Am I mistaken or have we not relaid the pitch twice in recent years?
What a load of borrocks, is he seriously suggesting that most other clubs in Div 4 have hybrid grass pitches? :D

Colesman Ballz

How would Tis have got on with the state pitch of the pitch in the Man Utd replay ? Interestingly although a cover was supplied (by the FA ? TV ?) to ensure that the game went ahead, it was suggested that our football management, actually would have preferred not to use it, as they thought it would be to our advantage in negating United's skills ! It seemed that further damaging or wrecking the pitch was of less concern than improving our chances of pulling off a shock upset !

Last edited:

IndoMike

Our pitch is responsible for our ghastly defeats at Crawley & Chesterfield. Naughty pitch !

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Some harsh, unfair comments on here so far. Do you people not realise how difficult it is to welly a football up in the air fifty yards towards a striker from a cabbage patch ?

crocks

Poor pitch this season = best run of home results for ages...... who needs a billiard table pitch?

Red Bill

I know nothing about the technical side of pitches other than we've had a new one (which they cocked up at the first attempt and had to re-do) very recently. What's the difference between our pitch and other pitches?

The new pitch we had laid cost about £100K(?), if we're hoping to get £3M for Ampadu, surely some of that could be spent on a better one. And if the new one is no better than the old one, what was the point of all the effort that went in to the 'Pitch in' campaign?!

Stelios

"If God had wanted people to play football on grass he wouldn't have invented the sky" - Tony Pulis (not really)

Pete Martin (CTID)

I would just reiterate a point I have made previously, that our "under 23s" managed to defeat Brighton's 'under 23s" 4-1 last Monday week on that same problematic pitch. "Go figure" as they say.