• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Penny Drops.

jambo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sorry Jambo but what you are thinking of is sticky-back-and-front plastic.
I am obliged to present a logical objection, y'r honour.

How can you tell the difference between sticky front tape and sticky back tape? And how can you prevent unscrupulous retailers from convincing naïve young fellas to buy one of each?

jambo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Nah, a sticky front tape was a cassette that came free with 'Sounds' or 'Q' magazines that had one good song and 11 ***** ones on.
I remember those. You'd always end up ripping half the front page off your copy of Sounds when you tried to pull the tape off. And the verso side of that page would just happen to contain details of the tour just announced by your favourite band, causing disproportionate consternation.

I once got a free Orange Juice flexi disc stuck on the front page of Sounds - with double sided sticky tape. That more than made up for all the ***** tapes & ripped front pages.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I once got a free Orange Juice flexi disc stuck on the front page of Sounds - with double sided sticky tape. That more than made up for all the ***** tapes & ripped front pages.
Did you have to rip it up and start again? I'll get my coat 🤫

Reactions: GJW

jambo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Did you have to rip it up and start again? I'll get my coat 🤫
I can't help myself - I'm going to be falling & laughing until my dying day after reading that, Rosey.

For the (flexi) record, the disc was Poor Old Soul. Which is how the jamblettes regard me, when I start to blether about Blue Peter, Orange Juice, Sounds & sticky back plastic.

Last edited:

STURTZ

People built a career on their mastery of sticky back plastic. The backing paper had a handy grid which was a useful guide in cutting the sheet to roughly the right size, actually slightly larger but I'll go into that later. Lay the cut sheet over the material to be covered (if it's a 3D shape such as a cube then cover the card as a flat surface first and then cut and make the object, covering a formed shape is seldom satisfactory). Once you are happy that the plastic is the right size then it's time to remove the backing and there are two schools of thought regarding this process. SBP as some people call it is extremely high tack and once it touches it sticks which was good but could lead to problems with creases and bubbles, especially on non porous surfaces. The recommended way was to peel a corner or side and fix that before pulling the rest of the protective sheet away and work it with a rubber squeegee to smooth the plastic neatly into place before finishing with a damp sponge. Yeah right! more often than not the finished surface would be cratered and lumpy with interuptions in the pattern where a knife had been introduced to cut tapered wedges out in order to release trapped air and get the surface flat. Personally I prefer to peel the whole sheet and carefully position it over the cleaned surface, lower it, letting gravity do the work until the centre of the sheet touches the centre of the receiving medium. At this point it is essential that the sponge is applied with a circular motion working from the centre slowly out to the sides only letting the edges down once the centre is firmly fixed and smoothed to the edges, in this process it is probably best to introduce a second set of hands. Any small bubbles formed can be addressed with a pin just remember IT IS UNREALISTIC TO TRY AND REMOVE AND REAPPLY SICKY BACK PLASTIC WHILST EXPECTING PLAUDITS. Once your surface is covered go back and trim all the over hangs.

Good word plaudits, like it a lot.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Made this years advent crown out of coat hangers yet Sturtz ?

elginCity

Thing is, has the penny dropped yet for LOG.

jambo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thing is, has the penny dropped yet for LOG.
When I bumped into him not an hour ago, lurking in the environs of St James Park, there was no evidence of any dropped pennies. As you'll appreciate, Elgin, I was scouring the vicinity, poised to pick up all & any put down pennies.

There was a time when you could receive plaudits for picking up pennies.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
When I realised that a certain Welsh rugby player's name was Dan Lydiate. I'd being hearing it as "damned idiot".

LOG

I haven't just worked this out but it took far too long for me to realise that recycled toilet paper wasn't made from recycled toilet paper.