• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Official Title Deciding Exeter City versus Port Vale Matchday Thread

sign of the chimes

"This is what you could of won" ☹
The speedboat is hidden under that.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Late to this thread but, in no particular order, a few thoughts:

[1] A little surprised more hasn't been made of the keeper's save from MJ's early header which IMO was straight out of the very top drawer – to get a hand to it was pretty impressive, to push it to safety even more so. Watch it here after 20 or so seconds:

[2] A fully fit Stubbs gets his head on the cross from which James Wilson scores for Port Vale.

[3] Zanzala seems like a lovely guy and has been a great loan signing for us but, all said and done, ain't good enough. Appreciate they're different players but Kieran Phillips has, I think, scored as many goals despite having only a fraction of the minutes.

[4] The manager has done a fantastic job this season and deserves huge credit but I was baffled by the decision to take MJ off. We desperately needed a bit of craft and guile in the final third yesterday and, for my money, no-one is more likely to provide that than MJ. Notwithstanding that, it seems odd to take off your top scorer at a point when there was every chance a single goal would have won us the title.

[5] All said and done, a great season, albeit one which concluded with a distinct feeling of 'if only...'

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Forgot to say... Port Vale's black kit is a thing of some beauty.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
On the 'if only's

1.The handball gets given by VAR after 3 minutes analysis. It doesn't get given by a referee live.
2. The save from MJ's header was unbelievably good - from the Big Bank view I thought the keeper couldn't possibly get to it.
3. I too was puzzled by taking MJ off. As MT said about the Barrow game 'any big chance you want to fall to MJ as he's most likely to score'. Zanzala should have come off - he and Nombe were likely to make the same runs and get in each other's way.
4. With hindsight, Stubbs did indeed stay on too long after being injured, though its natural to try to run it off before making such a big substitution.

older-codger

I believe MT was concerned that Dieng and Collins were not doing well in midfield and took MJ off to concentrate on getting the ball quicker to the front players by-passing the midfield to an extent.

DB9

Time to put the season to bed now, No more ifs and buts, We're promoted, Goodbye season 2021/22 in L2, Its been a blast.

Grecian Max

Forgot to say... Port Vale's black kit is a thing of some beauty.
Looks the same as the million other Black out kits since Dortmund released one… boring

Colesman Ballz

You are a disgruntled ex city employee I wont name you but take your chip off your shoulder elsewhere and please take the exit door asap
Well said StJ, but should you reconsider it would be very enlightening to learn exactly who the To$$er is ! :p

grecIAN Harris

Late to this thread but, in no particular order, a few thoughts:

[1] A little surprised more hasn't been made of the keeper's save from MJ's early header which IMO was straight out of the very top drawer – to get a hand to it was pretty impressive, to push it to safety even more so. Watch it here after 20 or so seconds:

[2] A fully fit Stubbs gets his head on the cross from which James Wilson scores for Port Vale.

[3] Zanzala seems like a lovely guy and has been a great loan signing for us but, all said and done, ain't good enough. Appreciate they're different players but Kieran Phillips has, I think, scored as many goals despite having only a fraction of the minutes.

[4] The manager has done a fantastic job this season and deserves huge credit but I was baffled by the decision to take MJ off. We desperately needed a bit of craft and guile in the final third yesterday and, for my money, no-one is more likely to provide that than MJ. Notwithstanding that, it seems odd to take off your top scorer at a point when there was every chance a single goal would have won us the title.

[5] All said and done, a great season, albeit one which concluded with a distinct feeling of 'if only...'
It looked a good save at the time but it wasn't on the Sky highlights to see it again and our 360 view of it wasn't all that clever. Having now seen it, it was decent reaction save but it's not like the keeper has had to launch himself at it.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Well said StJ, but should you reconsider it would be very enlightening to learn exactly who the To$$er is ! :p
So many to choose from CB , where do I start . . . . . . Promotion has mellowed me out tonight.