• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Official Title Deciding Exeter City versus Port Vale Matchday Thread

dontpassback

I agree with all the posts above about needing extra firepower, but my point was how will we attract such players if they’re going to be mainly playing second fiddle to Nombe? It won’t be a case of affordability, it’ll be about many minutes they can realistically expect on the pitch in their preferred position. As an example, would Zanzala or Phillips have come here had Nombe not been injured (and yes I realise that had he not been injured we might not have been looking to recruit in that position)?
That’s a good point,because any good players want to be on the pitch,not bench warming so it’s going to be a tough ask for Matt Taylor

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I agree with all the posts above about needing extra firepower, but my point was how will we attract such players if they’re going to be mainly playing second fiddle to Nombe? It won’t be a case of affordability, it’ll be about many minutes they can realistically expect on the pitch in their preferred position. As an example, would Zanzala or Phillips have come here had Nombe not been injured (and yes I realise that had he not been injured we might not have been looking to recruit in that position)?
You're right in that it will be difficult to get someone better than Nombe at a fee we can afford and not easy to get someone to play second fiddle who is as good as Nombe.
Just pondering, the options are :

1. Get a very good young player on loan - it will surely be easier (but not easy) to get someone from the C'ship now we're in League 1.
2. Tell the player that we will definitely need cover due to Nombe's injury problems and that sometimes we'll play with 2 strikers, too.
3. Strike it lucky (unlikely) by landing an oldie like Jamie Cureton.

But I think it's clear somehow we need to sign a goalscorer because Nombe won't be able to play without having breaks.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Didn’t nombe play league one for Mk dons and Luton ?
He played in the Championship for Luton on loan didn't he?

Banksy

You're right in that it will be difficult to get someone better than Nombe at a fee we can afford and not easy to get someone to play second fiddle who is as good as Nombe.
Just pondering, the options are :

1. Get a very good young player on loan - it will surely be easier (but not easy) to get someone from the C'ship now we're in League 1.
2. Tell the player that we will definitely need cover due to Nombe's injury problems and that sometimes we'll play with 2 strikers, too.
3. Strike it lucky (unlikely) by landing an oldie like Jamie Cureton.

But I think it's clear somehow we need to sign a goalscorer because Nombe won't be able to play without having breaks.
Option 4. Bring back Jamie Cureton.😀

Exehausted

Given how well he's done at W-S-Mare I really hope Matt puts Sonny Cox on the bench next season and gives him a chance. He's 18 in October and he's proved he can cut in the rough and tumble of men's football. Plenty of young strikers get goals in the league at that age and I hope he can. If we give him a chance I'm sure he wont let us down. I'm sure he's not another Ben Seymour but he needs a chance. If we use him then we would only need to bring in one more striker. As always the good ones are usually way out of our price range. Apparently Matt said on the podcast "my new football club" this week that he was offered a player by an agent who wanted 5 times what Matt would pay him. Hopefully Mr Flitcroft can unearth a diamond from non-league or a Premiership or Championship loanee needing experience. It wont be easy, but then it never has been!

Banksy

Yes , rake through non league , that could be an option.

IndoMike

Given how well he's done at W-S-Mare I really hope Matt puts Sonny Cox on the bench next season and gives him a chance. He's 18 in October and he's proved he can cut in the rough and tumble of men's football. Plenty of young strikers get goals in the league at that age and I hope he can. If we give him a chance I'm sure he wont let us down. I'm sure he's not another Ben Seymour but he needs a chance. If we use him then we would only need to bring in one more striker. As always the good ones are usually way out of our price range. Apparently Matt said on the podcast "my new football club" this week that he was offered a player by an agent who wanted 5 times what Matt would pay him. Hopefully Mr Flitcroft can unearth a diamond from non-league or a Premiership or Championship loanee needing experience. It wont be easy, but then it never has been!
I've tried to google Sonny Cox's record at WSM but can't find anything. Is he playing for their first team?

Exehausted

I've tried to google Sonny Cox's record at WSM but can't find anything. Is he playing for their first team?
Yes he is and he's scored a few recently, including a hattrick. Dawlishbouy with his excellent loan updates thread has been charting his success. Have a look in there, it'll give you all the info you need.

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
He wasn't a dud. He was a short term solution to a short term problem.
A successful one at that.He was employed to keep the promotion train running.

It gave Taylor the chance to take a look at him and Phillips well before next pre-season too.Which will have saved him some time.

IndoMike

Yes he is and he's scored a few recently, including a hattrick. Dawlishbouy with his excellent loan updates thread has been charting his success. Have a look in there, it'll give you all the info you need.
OK.Thanks and will do.