• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Official Exeter City versus Charlton Athletic Matchday Thread

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
When was the last time we scored from a corner? Must have had about 50 in the past couple of months…stick it in the mixer chaps
Yes we miss the Stubbs effect but today with almost the last free kick of the game into the box we sent Jamal up but took it short before he got in the box !

He actually kicked out at the dug out - damage will come out of his wages I guess !
League two beckons for jack,unless he ups his game

milts

I think the problem Jack has is that he is not good enough defensively to play left back and hasn’t got the pace to get up and down the pitch effectively as a wing back

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes, I fear Jack is in the Tim and MJ club. Other prospective members include Josh Coley, Jake Caprice and, and I'm really sad to say this, Pierce Sweeney

Pmc grecian

Jack sparks isn’t yet up to league 1 standard but it will come we have to be patient he will come good

Grecian Max

Yes, I fear Jack is in the Tim and MJ club. Other prospective members include Josh Coley, Jake Caprice and, and I'm really sad to say this, Pierce Sweeney
Nah, GC loves Caprice, the others definitely

Grecian Max

I think we huffed and puffed today against another mid table outfit, difference being of course in ambitions and size of clubs. They weren't better than us, however they did score a lovely first goal after us coming out of the traps which really did sway the game in their favour. For a 15 minute period, suddenly we couldn't make a pass and they then got their second. To be fair to City we ended the half as the stronger side and were probably tad unlucky not to be level on the balance of chances.

Second half was a real disappointment and we missed that magician in behind. Really failed to unlock Charlton, who, from their perspective - defended resolutely.

Criticism of White - only half fair for me, he had a quietly decent first 45 and second half looked tired and started making mistakes. The inexperience showed and he should have been subbed when GC decided to change the 2 CMs. I felt at the time it was the wrong move when we desperately needed legs up top.

Sweeney was the issue in defence today, he had an absolute mare and was clearly targeted by the presumably well informed Holden. Stanno isn't hitting the heights of his early season promise and really should have buried the chance at the end.

I do back GC with that Sparkes change, we weren't moving the ball forward quick enough and respect trying to change something he'd seen early. I don't think it's a reflection on Jack but more of a tactical switch, it's football.

Frustrating game and it didn't click - what I saw doesn't tally with a lot of this thread though, you'd think we'd just lost 0-2 to Canvey Island.

Bat Fastard

Yes we miss the Stubbs effect but today with almost the last free kick of the game into the box we sent Jamal up but took it short before he got in the box !
Yeah was reminded of that bullet header Stubbs scored at the away end recently…could do with his prowess in the opposition box!

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think we huffed and puffed today against another mid table outfit, difference being of course in ambitions and size of clubs. They weren't better than us, however they did score a lovely first goal after us coming out of the traps which really did sway the game in their favour. For a 15 minute period, suddenly we couldn't make a pass and they then got their second. To be fair to City we ended the half as the stronger side and were probably tad unlucky not to be level on the balance of chances.

Second half was a real disappointment and we missed that magician in behind. Really failed to unlock Charlton, who, from their perspective - defended resolutely.

Criticism of White - only half fair for me, he had a quietly decent first 45 and second half looked tired and started making mistakes. The inexperience showed and he should have been subbed when GC decided to change the 2 CMs. I felt at the time it was the wrong move when we desperately needed legs up top.

Sweeney was the issue in defence today, he had an absolute mare and was clearly targeted by the presumably well informed Holden. Stanno isn't hitting the heights of his early season promise and really should have buried the chance at the end.

I do back GC with that Sparkes change, we weren't moving the ball forward quick enough and respect trying to change something he'd seen early. I don't think it's a reflection on Jack but more of a tactical switch, it's football.

Frustrating game and it didn't click - what I saw doesn't tally with a lot of this thread though, you'd think we'd just lost 0-2 to Canvey Island.
I wonder what difference JB would have made but no good worrying about spilt milk.
Was initially upset to see Diabate on bench but thought Aimson played assuring role in a defence he has had only just got used to names in.
Other newbies showed flashes of what come with a little more direction and what a difference Mitchell made until he ran out of steam - think Scott will become another Nombe very soon.
Hope our existing players up their game to compete for their places and that, somehow, JB is returned to the fold soon.
UTC

KentGrecian

My first game in a long while. After going two down after such a short time I feared it would be a dreadful result by full time but we did put in a bit more fight - sadly no where near enough to grind out a result against a solid CAFC. I was impressed by Macdonald (or Mcdonald?), let's hope he gets a regular place!