• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Official Exeter City versus Charlton Athletic Matchday Thread

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm surprised some are criticising Stansfield. I thought he was one of our few good players. White, on the other hand, was terrible.

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Can’t agree with Caldwell‘s assessment of the second half…..apart from a couple scares right at the death Charlton were very comfortable indeed in seeing the game out….3 points from the last five home matches not good enough that.

Rosencrantz

What is frustrating is that both goals against were similar in our failures albeit the first goal higher in quality than their second. Both times the player in possession had time and space to look up and spot the out to in run of the wingers who both got goal side of our wing backs. When there is no or little pressure on the ball, the centre backs should have dropped off a bit in order to cut off that supply. We left ourselves a mountain to climb and let Charlton stay deep and in shape. This is always difficult for most teams to break down. They also kept the ball well to take any sting out of the game.

Felt for Jack being hooked early, it's never nice to see. To be fair, if Key was fit enough for the bench it probably would have been both wing backs off. Caprice was his most frustrating, indirect version today. Even his assist for Mitchell's goal was annoying in the amount of touches he took.

I think Joe White is a talent that just needs time and a bit of patience to adjust to the pace and strength of L1. McDonald looks like what we have have needed for a while. Someone who wants and is available for the ball and keeps it moving quickly and efficiently. He has the ability to switch play. Alongside any two of Archie, Harry, Rakeem and Joe, it will give us a better chance to move the ball through the thirds better.

I can see why we set up in a 3-4-3 today being against a 4-3-3. But we are better with two up top and one in behind or a solid midfield three. I think that would suit White better as well and not let our midfield be outnumbered. Get the midfield to shuffle out wide to defend the opposition full backs or back ourselves to defend the cross.

In reality though, we need to stop conceding goals we shouldn't. The first was a good goal where we could have done better. The second was poor. A long straight ball and I am not sure what Jake was doing by leaving the ball to the winger to slot home having made the ground back.

manc grecian

Stansfield needs the ball quicker as does Nombe. I agree his finishing needs to improve but he's always wanting the ball as it goes side to side at a snails pace

Bat Fastard

Jacko looked shocked to be taken off and was clearly very unhappy about it. He shook his head in disgust and he looked furious. Gary didn't say a word to him or look him in the eye. Kev Nicholson tried saying something to him but Jack just brushed him off. I wont be surprised if he doesn't even make the bench for the next game.
He was ****** off and rightly so played some decent balls, hooking him after 25 mins is very bold man management. Mitchell took his goal nicely but flattered to deceive second half - will be interesting to see how sparkes responds to it

Bridgy 81

He was ****** off and rightly so played some decent balls, hooking him after 25 mins is very bold man management. Mitchell took his goal nicely but flattered to deceive second half - will be interesting to see how sparkes responds to it
I didn’t see today’s game so can’t speak with any first hand knowledge but I don’t mind an early substitution.
I appreciate it’s potentially a bit embarrassing for the player but so what.
It equally shows that the Manager is perhaps admitting a selection or tactical error on his part and with five substitutions play with why leave them all to the end if you think an early one can affect the game.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Unfortunately there were more negatives than positives today, and not just the result.

I'm not sure why Diabate was dropped for Aimson. Defensively, we went missing for Charltons goals. Far too easy for them.

Caprice had his worst game since GC came in. He's never been great in the tackle but today he was particularly poor and his final ball was carp.

White looked like a novice, Mitchell other than his goal was poor and kept losing it and died as the game went on, and I'm not sure if Scott had a touch?

Mcdonald looked decent and should start next game. Nombe was also very good.

Collins hasn't been himself for a while now and we just lacked some spark today. Second half I was expecting us to have a real go and pummel their goal but other than a save from Kites long shot at the end I don't recall their keeping making a save.

All in all a bit disappointing, we clearly missed Jevani, and defensively we opened up as easily as Mary Magdalene.

ryancooper327

Think 352 next time with Kevin/Kite in CM and Scott and Nombe up top.

We were the better team today, Charlton fans on the train were saying how lucky they were.

On to the next one.

geoffwp

Players upset and acting up, players showing dissent, players being dropped for disciplinary issues. Oh come on ffs city. Show some intelligence, grow up, stop throwing toys out the pram. End of window we were saying how positive it was, keeping our stars like Jev, suddenly its discipline issues that could threaten our chances.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Jacko looked shocked to be taken off and was clearly very unhappy about it. He shook his head in disgust and he looked furious. Gary didn't say a word to him or look him in the eye. Kev Nicholson tried saying something to him but Jack just brushed him off. I wont be surprised if he doesn't even make the bench for the next game.
He actually kicked out at the dug out - damage will come out of his wages I guess !