• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The next step

SGF

The 3 years is cumulative...therefore if scunthorpe bounce back next season, they will have one season to do it..
what happens if they take 2 seasons to get promoted back?

Poultice

Very well known Exeweb poster
The 3 years is cumulative...therefore if scunthorpe bounce back next season, they will have one season to do it..
Time to get behind their campaign then.

Antony Moxey

So what if we went up, came straight back down and stayed in L1 for ten years before going up again? Would we be refused promotion on the grounds that SJP should have been sorted seven years previously?

Poulticedale

I think the choice is pretty clear -

1) we accept that competing in League 1 is doing very well for the trust run club that we are and that there probably is no "next step"; or

2) we need substantial outside investment, which is a questionable path to follow and in many ways against much of what we stand for.

I'm probably with (1), although (2) might be more fun, until we "do an Argyle".

Scooterboy 65

I'm happy playing in League 1 as alot of big clubs in it with good grounds. I feel that the step up to the championship is just to big at the moment.
I expect Rochdale fans must be over the moon at where they are this season and not scrapping it out like us a year ago.

Antony Moxey

I think the choice is pretty clear -

1) we accept that competing in League 1 is doing very well for the trust run club that we are and that there probably is no "next step";
How is that a choice? That's just a lack of ambition. This season has shown just how close we have been able to get to the Championship, and given how close we've got, is it impossible to point to just two or three results that could well have seen us in the play-offs.

I refuse to believe there is no 'next step', and if that were to be the case we may as well just pack up and go home.

InTheBigBank

Resigned
How is that a choice? That's just a lack of ambition. This season has shown just how close we have been able to get to the Championship, and given how close we've got, is it impossible to point to just two or three results that could well have seen us in the play-offs.

I refuse to believe there is no 'next step', and if that were to be the case we may as well just pack up and go home.
Too right, I can't stand the whole argument about League One being our 'natural level' or 'as far as we can go'.

All we can do is live within our means, if that meant finishing bottom of the Championship then so be it.

grecIAN Harris

One of two things will have to change. Either there will have to be a significant increase in Trust membership to swell the coffers to be able to compete in The Championship on a long term basis or The Trust membership will have to accept some outside resource to be able to compete in The Championship on a longer term basis.
The former is highly unlikely to happen until there is some kind of long term stability in The Championship and the latter will never happen unless there a severe shift in membership mentality. Unless something has changed radically in recent months, I'm always left with the impression that The Trust membership will not tolerate an outside resourse coming into the club.

I would take year in the Championship and finishing bottom rather than staying in league 1 saying the time is not right for us.
It would give us more impetus knowing that we have reached somewhere we have never been in our entire history and make us fight harder for a longer stay next time round.
This is no longer a 107 year pipe dream. This is real and well within our capabilities.

Antony Moxey

One of two things will have to change. Either there will have to be a significant increase in Trust membership to swell the coffers to be able to compete in The Championship on a long term basis or The Trust membership will have to accept some outside resource to be able to compete in The Championship on a longer term basis.
But will they though? This season you could look at the results at home to Huddersfield, Yeovil and Hartlepool as genuine f*ck-ups by all concerned, and on another day it's not entirely ridiculous to imagine us winning those three games. Given that, we'd be nine points better off, which, I think, would be enough to secure a play-off spot.

So is it so beyond imagination that this current squad and set up could have taken us to the Championship? Of course, once we were there, who knows what would happen in terms of money coming in - TV rights, sponsorhips etc - without needing to relinquish Trust control of the club.