• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The next step

rustle

maybe Try A-H could learn what to do with the ball after he's won it (as he so often does).
Ooops editing error, maybe it's Freudian!

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Agree with the defence problem, maybe Try A-H could learn what to do with the ball after he's won it (as he so often does).

An argument in another thread (sorry can't remember which) was about the likelihood we'd come straight back down if we went up but the counter argument was that at least it would generate income.

Is our ground up to championship standard anyway? I don't know what's expected.
I believe we'd have 3 years grace to upgrade the ground.

I know I will be slated by some posters on here but If we had had Hamer from the start of the season, then a play off place would have been ours. Someone who commands the box by communicating with the back 4/5 is a must.

Poultice

I believe we'd have 3 years grace to upgrade the ground.
That would be of course assuming we could retain our place at that level.

As an aside, I wonder if you yo-yoed a couple or three times whether you would have to upgrade to be allowed in for a fourth year at that level or would the clock restart each time ? I suspect the next time the Scunts get up might reveal the answer.

SGF

As an aside, I wonder if you yo-yoed a couple or three times whether you would have to upgrade to be allowed in for a fourth year at that level or would the clock restart each time ? I suspect the next time the Scunts get up might reveal the answer.
I'd have thought they'd restart the clock each time, would be interesting to know though...

Poultice

I know I will be slated by some posters on here but If we had had Hamer from the start of the season, then a play off place would have been ours. Someone who commands the box by communicating with the back 4/5 is a must.
Why would you be slated for such a reasonable view ?

Add to that if Cheesy had signed Gary Sawyer, or the boy Ellis from the Turks, instead of Billy Jones imho.

Come the death we are gonna be oh so close that it might well prove to be physically painful so I guess any one one of a number of small and apparently insignificant at the time factors might be ascribed with the blame.

GRECIANS1904

sometimes its better to find your level and remain there for a while. Imagine if we got to the championship it would be a struggle and the thought of redeveloping the ground or moving could potentially be a downfall if we were to get relegated, never want to go back to the old days of no money nearly folding and playing in the conference. Leauge 1 for a few seasons lets prove next year this wasnt a one off fluke

Phil Sayers

We can all see where we've slipped up at times this season, so could we really make the Championship, and could we really last there too, or is it, at the moment with the current squad - and manager if you like - just a step, or steps, too far?
I don't think it is necessarily a step too far as we almost made it this time. However it will be very difficult as there are many squads which are on paper better than ours. I think its fair to say that our final league position this season is somewhat above where a reasonable, informed neutral would have put it at the start of the season just looking at squads on paper - down to a variety of factors I would imagine but mainly manager, set-up and momentum.

To replicate the same next season will be tough and to go one better extremely tough. If we could sign 2 or 3 decent players it would certainly improve the odds!

Northants Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster

The 3 years is cumulative...therefore if scunthorpe bounce back next season, they will have one season to do it..

grecIAN Harris

I've been banging that drum for years with regards Mr Jones. Few would have it then, will they understand it now or maybe seeing it in the flesh (in the form of Ben Hamer) they have been educated now.