• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Next Exeter City First Team Manager Thread

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
Re: the interview with Nicholson.

The harsh reality of L1 football? No,the harsh reality of L1 budget setting.Why would any new face touch Exeter City without the promise of a realistic budget in January?

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster

The harsh reality of L1 football? No,the harsh reality of L1 budget setting.Why would any new face touch Exeter City without the promise of a realistic budget?
Loads of people I would expect.
It would worry me if we had to pay compensation though.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster

The harsh reality of L1 football? No,the harsh reality of L1 budget setting.Why would any new face touch Exeter City without the promise of a realistic budget?
What is a realistic budget. Argyle are 3 times our budget and apparently mid way in the league.

Grecian Max

KN is a good guy, after Torquay went and studied looked at becoming a better coach/manager. I believe he could keep us in League 1. However it would be next season I would worry, its fine coaching a team , but can he build a new team, which is what we will need next season.
Cheers Kevin, but no

Grecian Max

What is a realistic budget. Argyle are 3 times our budget and apparently mid way in the league.
Where do you get these "facts" from

milts

What style of football does Ardley look to play?

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Where do you get these "facts" from
Argyles playing budget was quoted in there financials at around £5.7m. Ours was around £1.9m if unmoved from last season

The rest I have no idea hence why I used the apparently

Bridgy 81

Why? because we are only in October, fair play he’s done well for Solihull in the last 12 games. He hasn’t got alot of achievement to his record in the last 10 years with Wimbledon and Notts County-He was Sacked by both. I don’t know what qualifies him to manage us in L1. He’s the bookies massive odds on favourite now so he’s obviously got half a leg already in the job.
I don’t know if it will be Ardley but I suppose two things that potentially qualifies him to manage us in League One is that he got Wimbledon promoted to it for the first time in their history (beating Argyle in the process in the 2016 Playoff Final) then successfully kept them there for 2 seasons.
The wheels feel off for him at the start of the third but as a I understand it he left them by ‘mutual consent’.

Grecian Max

Argyles playing budget was quoted in there financials at around £5.7m. Ours was around £1.9m if unmoved from last season

The rest I have no idea hence why I used the apparently
Looking at this it seems that Argyle spent £5.4m on all 335 staff rather than it being their playing budget? With directors taking £200k off that figure

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Looking at this it seems that Argyle spent £5.4m on all 335 staff rather than it being their playing budget? With directors taking £200k off that figure
Ok so argyle still spend a lot more in there playing budget than us and are mid way (apparently) in lge 1.

Realistically we will never compete with top end financially in league one. What is a realistic budget for us without significant outside investment?

Probably the one we are providing