• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The morning after the day before

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
The disappointment I feel is not for me ,but for the players.

they become City legends in joining the other 5 squads that have won promotion for ECFC. But they were so close to joining the only one City team that has won a league title. They would have been spoken of by City fans as 'the title winning side of 2021-22' the way we become misty eyed about the 89-90 team.

And for all the players they've been through the mill - either academy graduates or signings who have been relegated, released , rejected. How great it would be to show the medal for winning League Two, rather than 'we were promoted but missed the title on goal difference'. Their standing in the game is now so much boosted by this achievement, but it would have been more enhanced by getting just that one extra point. So nice ,for example if Diabate's Mum is asked locally to her 'how is your lad getting on?' to say 'he's just won the League Two title'.

dontpassback

We didn’t quite make it,but finished with the same points as FGR,and we went into the last two games knowing we were promoted,one goal would have been enough but it wasn’t to be and when you consider we had a slow start,coupled with injuries to nombe and Stubbs,the outcome was excellent.I remember feeeling gutted when we lost to a last minute penalty at Sutton,but it was a cobbled together side and we came so close to a point.the togetherness of the players is evident and next season we have some good games lined up against some excellent teams with very nice stadiums (apart from gnome park)so overall we have achieved promotion with two games to go and missed out on goal difference for the trophy,so when all considered we have done really well,despite a covid and injury interrupted season we are moving onwards and upwards UTC

grecIAN Harris

The disappointment I feel is not for me ,but for the players.

they become City legends in joining the other 5 squads that have won promotion for ECFC. But they were so close to joining the only one City team that has won a league title. They would have been spoken of by City fans as 'the title winning side of 2021-22' the way we become misty eyed about the 89-90 team.

And for all the players they've been through the mill - either academy graduates or signings who have been relegated, released , rejected. How great it would be to show the medal for winning League Two, rather than 'we were promoted but missed the title on goal difference'. Their standing in the game is now so much boosted by this achievement, but it would have been more enhanced by getting just that one extra point. So nice ,for example if Diabate's Mum is asked locally to her 'how is your lad getting on?' to say 'he's just won the League Two title'.
I disagree and agree with that in equal measure. For the lads that have moved here from other clubs, it's great and it's something really good to put on their CV but whilst they will always have affinity for the club they will be doing their job and, for example Cameron Dawson will always be a Sheffield Wednesday fan first and foremost.
For the local lads who are born and bred down here come through the ranks, Matt Jay, Archie Collins and the like I totally get what you're saying. They are City fans just like us but they have the ability to go out every Saturday and pull on our shirt and do us all proud. They are City fans playing for City fans and the disappointment will sting more for them than maybe it will for us as fans because of the doubling of being both player and fan.

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think Tisdale got a silver dish when we came 2nd last time.Disappointing that we didn't get the trophy for coming 1st,but this isn't the end of the story,it could be jus the beginning. Thinking back to the seasons after we got promoted in 1990,we never settled in League 1 and it didn't come as shock when we dropped down again and that was the point where we had a slow decline into the Conference, so yester day means very little to what we can expect in the next few years.

I would like to see a similar outcome to our approach as we had from the 1977 season.How many years did we last in that division? 7? 3 of them were top 11 finishes in the days when we didn't have playoffs.

2021-22 Is history, but I feel reasonably confident that we have a club that can compare with the 1977 promotion and not settle for 1990 one.

scottus86

I'm over it! I'll be cheering on Swindon through the play offs. If they win that 5 southwest derbies next year and will be excellent for our energy levels.

Rosencrantz

The main aim of the season is promotion (preferably automatically). The title is the cherry on top. But it was a strange feeling yesterday that already having achieved the main aim, we had got so close to the title and it slipped away. You could see how much it meant to the players as well. To be hear Matt saying they needed picking up even though they were promoted said it all about the committment the players have shown this season.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
The one thing that saddened me was seeing the footage of the FGR players celebrating the title when we all know it could/should have been ours!! Like others have said our loss is tiny in comparison to the Northampton fans or for that matter Oldham's or Scunny's

fred binneys head

Or argyle’s 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
The one thing that saddened me was seeing the footage of the FGR players celebrating the title when we all know it could/should have been ours!! Like others have said our loss is tiny in comparison to the Northampton fans or for that matter Oldham's or Scunny's
Indeed. If the only complaint we have this season is NOT winning the title, then all is well!

Max Payne 2

I've had a think about it and what helped me close the book on this was a look at last year's Championship final table. Norwich won comfortably and Watford were well ahead of Brentford in the playoffs. I think if you asked Norwich fans whether they'd trade the title for the playoffs or Watford trade the autos for the sweat of those playoffs provided they get Brentford's 2022 season they'd have bitten your hand off at the ribs.

And if that doesn't do it have a look at the 1990-91 final third division table. Note where Grimsby, Southend and Cambridge ended up.