• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The morning after the day before

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don’t care. Yesterday was a nothing match for me, we’d done what we set out to do and that was win promotion. Anything beyond that was just a bonus so the only disappointment for me was the performance - it was a poor way to end a fantastic season, but shouldn’t be thought of as the defining memory of the season, the players deserve better.

A shame we missed it by just a handful of goals - I’m sure if we looked back through the the season we could find where those goals might have been scored, but in the end it doesn’t matter, we’re up and that’s all that really counts. I said before the game yesterday that we’d probably win the title with both us and Village Green losing, so I guess I was half right!

Roll on next season - when the PSFs start?

Grecian Max

To see Exeter as champions isn’t even a once in a generation thing so the disappointment was real yesterday, weirdly I was more gutted than when Northampton beat us 4-0 at an empty Wembley.

But they’ve done the job, in style and given us the experience of being promoted 2 games early which has been surreal but awesome. I have a couple of Swindon mates and a Gas mate and it’s been an interesting WhatsApp ride throughout the season. Might even be all 3 that go up, but I’ve enjoyed soaring above them both in the last third. Not sure I could have handled being a Rovers fan yesterday, closest equivalent I could think of in terms of feeling would be Torquay away but 7-0 is unreal 😂

Once the first eyes + pen emoji appears on Twitter I’ll be well on the way to thinking about next season - which starts early!

geoffwp

I have absolutely no expectations for next season except enjoying the ride, and I know I will regardless. Geddon you beautiful reds.

i8cornwall

Being promoted was enough for me, if someone had offered me that in pre season I'd had bitten your hand off.

Winning the title would have been great don't get me wrong, I'd always assumed we'd never do it in my life time anyway. The fact as a team they overhauled what was at one point an 18pt Forest Green lead to even be within a shot at the title on the last day is a huge achievement in itself and one people should be talking about more. That's even before you look at the fact we have gone up when clubs twice our size in Bradford and Tranmere haven't even made the playoffs. Losing out on the title will be the last thing I'll be thinking about when I'm stood in the away end watching us play clubs like Derby, Portsmouth, Charlton, Ipswich and watching from the home end at Bolton 😉

This season has been amazing, yeah yesterday wasn't the best but we've had worse in the past, shame I won't be at SJP week in week out next season but that's life. Bring on a great summer!

Bridgy 81

It dawned on me earlier that yesterday also marked the end of my first season contributing on Exeweb.
It feels like longer than 11 months!
I’ve really enjoyed it for the most part.
I’ve certainly learnt what I like to get involved in and what it’s best for me to stay clear of.
It’s been interesting reading other’s opinions on different things and on occasions adding my own.
I haven’t agreed with all I’ve read but that is obviously part of the point of the forum.
I’ve been really impressed especially with some of the analysis, statistical information and graphics some posters have provided. These contributions alone make this forum a helpful place to come and I think we’re fortunate to have so many people who post interesting things.
It’s been a brilliant season for ECFC and getting more involved on here has added to that for me.
Stand by for it to go full circle and for me to report from a Taunton or WsM PSF sometime in June.
Here’s to a fantastic time again next year, whatever it brings.

grecIAN Harris

I'm still tinged with a bit of disappointment after yesterday, the chance was there but we couldn't quite do enough on the day. Ultimately though we've achieved the main aim, getting up and avoiding those bloody play-offs in doing so. So now on to where everybody, players, staff and fans, can have a proper summer holiday. Forget about it all for six weeks with no other distractions like the World Cup (England to win the World Cup on my birthday for those who want another outlandish prediction that you think we have no chance of seeing) or the Euro's and come back fresh with excited anticipation.

ExmouthMart

A real achievement for a Club like Exeter to win promotion but a bit of an anti climax at the end. I was thinking job done before yesterday, so relax and show everyone what you can do but no it just fizzled out into a nothing performance. That will be one of most difficult things next season. Managing expectation. All the ‘new’ supporters will be expecting League One standard signings and performances to match or they will soon disappear. I really hope we stay up more than one season. It can be done teams like Cheltenham have stayed up and they are arguably a smaller Club than Exeter but we need strengthening through the spine of the team. We only have one decent striker and no experienced goal keeper. Will be an interesting summer of signings and comings and goings of players. All down to the two boards and the budget.

Trapdoor

Cheltenham have a striker in Alfie May who should be playing in the championship. Why he is still at Cheltenham I can't fathom. If we had a player like him in our side I think we would **** L1.

Red & White

At the start of the season I did not think we had the squad to obtain automatic promotion, yesterday was a game which in effect was a non-entity as we had already gained promotion. It would have been good to have won the championship and slightly disappointing that it was in our hands, but overall this has been a successful season.

The emergence of Kite, Diabete and to some extent Rowe has shown that we do have strength in depth. I think Coley will feature more next season and as a whole I think this squad is more complete than the side that went up in 2008/09. Roll on next season.

older-codger

If we had gained auto promotion with 2 games to go and were in second place having managed to reduce an 18 point deficit to, say 8 points in about 10 weeks we would have been delighted. The fact that we had reduced it to zero clouded the impact but not the end result.