• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The morning after the day before

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Well, it’s Sunday and we can now reflect on the season just gone.

Got to admit, I’m still gutted that we didn’t win the title. Not so much for myself either, more for the players, for KMT and for my son who was so desperate for us to be crowned champions. I said before the game that we’d lose and was fairly circumspect about our chances of the title as FGR had a tough game at Mansfield but weren’t going to roll over, but he was so confident and excited about being champions that he was really down at the end of the game.

BUT, it’s been an amazing season. We’ve had strong Academy representation throughout the season, we’ve seen the emergence of Chieck and Stubbsy, the continued goal scoring of MJ, a goalscorer in Tim Dieng and some quality strikes from Jevani and Super Sammy. And we’ve had the calming reassurance at the back that only a top quality keeper gives you. Thank you Cameron Dawson for everything you gave us this season, it’s a real shame that you deserve more than we can afford.

Thank you to KMT, thank you to all the players, thank you to City’s social media team, thank you to Chaz, thank you to Mike Cooper and everyone else who works or volunteers behind the scenes and thank you to the Collective for the amazing atmospheres at every game.

Bring on the Derby / Argyle / Charlton / Bolton / Portsmouth / Sunderland / Sheffield Wednesday / Ipswich / Oxford / Bristol Rovers / Cheltenham / Forest Green / Peterborough / Barnsley / Burton / Shrewsbury / whoever else we’ve got 👍

gilbertshoot

Good write up, Fred. Take it as it comes and so grateful for the amazing ride. We're going up is all that matters now. Was nice to have relaxed after last week and made such a wonderful change from all of that Wembley pain. Roll on next season and onwards up to the Championship.

Grecian Koala

So close and in the end a final outcome any city fan would have accepted at any point in the season and certainly at the start of this campaign. I thought City played well in both the last 2 games against two strong and motivated sides. Unlucky not to get the draw at least yesterday. I am just happy to have been able to get back to UK to have been there. Thanks to all on here for the news (since Devon live is so poor) and banter that keep the exiles in touch with all things City - UTC and roll on next season.

FBH Great post. I’ll admit to being a tad disappointed by missing out on being crowned as champions, disappointed for the players too, not sure if they’d been presented with a medal or some other momento of being crowned champions? However, they are champions in my eyes and I’m proud of each of them for their season long efforts, and thank them for their memories… on a personal note I’d wished they’d done it a season earlier as I lost my brother to cancer who was a long standing city fan in June 21 and he’d have loved to see them promoted but hey that’s life!
If I’d been told last year we were going to finish the season on equal points to the eventual league champions and miss out on the champions position on goal difference I’d have bitten your hand off, so it’s all relative.
Looking towards next season I’ll settle for a couple of seasons consolidating our position in League 1, so remind me next season if we were to miss out on the champions position on goal difference not to be disappointed 😂
Wishing all players and fans happy holidays and see you all in August!!

ryancooper327

I think we won 3 in the first 12 matches and 1 in the first 6. Thought it would be a long season! What a rollercoaster of a season, apart from March onwards when we just boringly seemed to win all the time…. So excited for next season.

lamrobhero

The latter half of the seaon up to and including the Barrow game has been characterised by tension, excitement, anticipation, fear, relevance - football at its best, which is not the norm.
The games against Northampton and Port Vale did not have these characteristics. Disappointing not to be crowned Champions but a bit after the Lord Mayor's show.

Trapdoor

Can't wait for the new league one calendar to come out.

Hope we get Burton away on a nice warm sunny Saturday. I need to do a few brewery tours.
Sunderland away on a miserable cold Saturday in January would be perfect as well.

eurogrecian

Great first post - thanks!
Came over for thé weekend for the game and didn’t regret it at all. Terrific atmosphere and so nice to see the Park absolutely full in such beautiful weather .
In the end I wonder if the table didn’t lie. We had some luck (for a change!) in several games. I think injuries to Nombe and Stubbs and COVID disruption probably made the difference between promotion and the title.
I bought a French friend over for the game (good player himself). He thought the standard would comfortably fit in the French 2nd division and was simply stunned by the whole thing. :)

Loads of mouth-watering fixtures to look forward to next season and for once Matt and the boys can have a decent break.
UTC

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Similar to the OP, my son and his friends were gutted we didn't win the title today, but afterwards and a quick trip onto the pitch and they were very excited about how the season had gone and are looking forward to league one football next season at the park.

This season has been by far the most enjoyable i have ever had as a City fan. My son's first ever season watching City at SJP, a side which have been a joy to watch and a complete league 2 side which had every attribute needed to not only win promotion but win it with ease. I firmly believe we have enough to stay up next season and with a few additions maybe even comfortably stay up.

Yesterday just was not our day and to be honest how many times have we said that this season. 3 months ago we would've taken losing the title on the final day as we were miles behind Forest Green. The whole club deserves this promotion.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
The feeling to me is similar to when you draw. You score a late equaliser and you leave the ground on a high. If you concede a late goal to draw a game you leave feeling gutted. However the outcome is the same, a draw, one point.

Yesterday was no triumph or disaster but a disappointment.

Next season we're not going to Hartlepool, Barrow or Carlisle, we're going to Pride Park, Portman Road and Fratton Park (and other lesser places). Enjoy the parade tomorrow everyone because it's been a season to celebrate and remember fondly.