• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Mirror's Oliver Holt on Stanno

Hammer44

Lovely article and so very true. A special player and a special Club.

Thinking about you all again today.

…are so difficult to find but we have to try.

I’ve posted many times on this forum in banter and to discuss players and games. Tonight is so sad. I enjoyed watching Adam when he was here with us in Hereford. He was everything I wanted to see in a footballer….honest, hardworking and a great team player. I’ve watched him being kicked from pillar to post by big defenders because they couldn’t stop him any other way….it was part of the game he played. I’ve seen him score and I’ve seen him miss but I never saw him cheat. If either of my sons had played the game I would have wanted them to play it the way Adam did.

There are far to few in the game like him.

It’s late. I’ve tried to say what I feel on behalf of us Herefordians.

Our thoughts are with the family I used to see shopping together in Sainsburys.

Be proud…..he was a special player in a game that is full of people who only think they are special.

Stuart Storer's Tache

Emily Bishop from Corrie, but I dont know her real name!

Lovely article, he is a good sports writer, usually like his writing
I'll own up to being a Mirror reader and one of the main reasons is the writing of Oliver Holt.

He first came to my attention when he wrote an excellent feature on our ultimately futile win at the Vetch back in 03.

Being a Stockport fan he can empathize with the ups and downs of following a lower league team. He also wrote a very positive piece after the Manchester United replay.

I am going to drop the paper an email to pass on my thanks.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Lovely article.

Hope all goes as well as can be expected today at the Cathedral.

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Fantastic piece, I didn't know that the Mirror was capable of articles like that.

secret poster

Hi All , Torquay fan here. Just wanted to say, thinking of you all today and, of course, the Stansfield family. Weather here in Torquay is pretty awful, I really hope its better in Exeter and you are able to give Adam a rousing send off. I'm sure you will anyway.
God bless Adam. Rest in peace.

greenawayr

Unfortunately the weather is pretty symptomatic of how everyone is feeling today I think.

I braved the elements briefly to get down to the park to see the cortege set off, but unfortunately work means I couldn't attend the service.

chrisnaan

Unfortunately the weather is pretty symptomatic of how everyone is feeling today I think.

I braved the elements briefly to get down to the park to see the cortege set off, but unfortunately work means I couldn't attend the service.
Were there many people there?

greenawayr

Were there many people there?
I only just got down there in time and obviously couldn't see many people outside, unfortunately the b*ggers at work decided today was the day for meetings so I was in a rush just to get there.

since62

in the red &white with Daughter At the Home Of Foo
excellent article and writer , seem to remember him writing an excellent article about the lower leagues after watching the Swansea V city relegation battle several years ago at The Vetch.
Cant get down today but my thoughts will definately be there!

Last edited: