• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Immigration Thread - Where do you stand whether it is illegal/legal immigration, immigratration past , present & future?

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Net migration was actually 500K last year, although admittedly it was not a normal year with a war on our continent, the Afghan clusterfeck and our laudable commitment to Hong Kongers.
It reflects our general relaxed attitude to immigration that the population of E&W grew by 3.5M between 2011-2021 and there’s been relatively little social problems with that.
Not bad for country apparently run by pseudo fascists with a penchant for using language from 1930’s Germany. 🙄

elginCity

560,000 people left the UK last year, including 90,000 Brits and 275,000 EU nationals.

45,000 refugees arrived by dinghy, 97% of whom are seeking asylum legally at the Dover processing centre.

There is an acute labour shortage.

Meanwhile the government has refused an offer from France to set up an asylum processing centre in France, is threatening to deport UK asylum seekers to Rwanda and adopted a ‘Stop The Boats’ campaign. No open doors nor open arms.

angelic upstart

Ah, an immigration thread. Whodathunkit?

Whilst most people focus on people arriving by boat, the UK actually needs loads of immigration. Why I hear you ask? Because there's a massive skills shortage of many jobs within the UK. We also have an a much larger population which isn't putting money into the govt's coffers to pay for the ongoing pension, NHS or care costs that they need.

So if we as a a nation want to lower immigration, we need more children from the indigenous population. And a lots of them! Those children also need to be skilled largely to the needs of the country.

We also need more housing. we could , we may need people who get married to stick together and for one of the parents to largely stay home to look after the children they've created. So a single earner, will need to earn more to avoid being on the govt payroll in some way. This is likely to assist in making families healthier as parents have time to cook healthier meals.

Another alternative is the nation we decides we don't want something that's really expensive to the govt that we use. Think NHS, pensions, benefits, armed forces or such like. In turn, that takes the strain off the govts coffers and the need for as much tax take dwindles and the country can in effect "shrink" a bit with little to no adverse effect, other than not having what we've lost in terms of benefits, pensions or NHS etc. I can't see people agreeing to this option.

A final option would be to reject capitalism in the UK so that money doesn't matter as much. But probably the least likely option.

So, in my view, if you can't find a different way of solving Britain's skills shortage and want to keep capitalism in the UK. Immigration seems the easiest option. .

Naturally, all of our beloved govts of all persuasions have kicked the can down the road and took the easiest option since the 60s as it's easier for them to focus on the lorry people/boat people and continue bringing in a migrant workforce through the very open and very big back door.

So in short, if you're worried about the country being to busy, to full, not being the Britain you know or if you don't want someone of a different colour or religion next door to you. These are perfectly reasonable reasons to want to reject immigration. You just have to "solve" the skills shortages, squeeze out a few more well clever children and stick with your ex as a pay off :D

angelic upstart

Net migration was actually 500K last year, although admittedly it was not a normal year with a war on our continent, the Afghan clusterfeck and our laudable commitment to Hong Kongers.
It reflects our general relaxed attitude to immigration that the population of E&W grew by 3.5M between 2011-2021 and there’s been relatively little social problems with that.
Not bad for country apparently run by pseudo fascists with a penchant for using language from 1930’s Germany. 🙄
Worth noting there's nearly 2 million more pensioners now than 2011.

Radio Free Skaro

I think that the problem is that Refugees are cynically being used as a scapegoat by the Conservative Government, in the interests of winning the Next GE . Many of this language fuels the far right which results in hostility, bigotary and actual violence towards a vulnerable group.

tavyred

I think that the problem is that Refugees are cynically being used as a scapegoat by the Conservative Government, in the interests of winning the Next GE . Many of this language fuels the far right which results in hostility, bigotary and actual violence towards a vulnerable group.
Can’t agree.
Most of the public are not buying the idea that those coming across the channel illegally are bona fide asylum seekers in the main. You are right in saying that the Tories are trying to reflect majority public opinion on the issue, but there’s nothing wrong with that IMO. God forbid our politicians doing what the public wants. 😁
I would encourage you to carry on with leftist word bingo, the hyperbolic use of words like ‘bigotry’ ‘far right’ and the like will drive voters to the Tories in their droves! 👍

angelic upstart

Can’t agree.
Most of the public are not buying the idea that those coming across the channel illegally are bona fide asylum seekers in the main. You are right in saying that the Tories are trying to reflect majority public opinion on the issue, but there’s nothing wrong with that IMO. God forbid our politicians doing what the public wants. 😁
I would encourage you to carry on with leftist word bingo, the hyperbolic use of words like ‘bigotry’ ‘far right’ and the like will drive voters to the Tories in their droves! 👍
What about the rest of the 500k that arrived last year? Do you think the general public don't mind them? How can they tell the difference who's who once they get out of the hotels they're living in?

tavyred

What about the rest of the 500k that arrived last year? Do you think the general public don't mind them? How can they tell the difference who's who once they get out of the hotels they're living in?
I can only speak for myself and say I have no problem with the sort of targeted arrival of asylum seekers we saw last year and if the country needs to dole out thousands of work visas then so be it. I believe there is about to be a clamp down on student visas as they are being roundly abused, but I may be wrong on that.
Polling I believe has consistently shown that the public favour controlled immigration and have a genuine tolerance for people who come here to work.

geoffwp

This is just another politics today thread which will, no doubt, be occupied by all the politics today regulars.

iscalad

This is just another politics today thread which will, no doubt, be occupied by all the politics today regulars.
Indeed. I'm now going to give it a miss.