• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The first gay footballer

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
There is bound to be loads, and don't blame them at all for keeping it under wraps, football fans are hardly known for PC restraint. Cannot see any relevance to it at all but I know plenty of City fans who would not be shy in giving it out, and we known as a passive lot !!

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Gone are the days where sexual preference or colour of skin should detract from there ability to kick a ball

If all city's starting 11 was gay I wouldn't care less

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
All depends how far you go. You can still hear comments such as "get up you poof" and words such as "faggot" on the terraces.

What I am saying is that the types of people using these slurs are the type that will use it against anyone regardless of sexual orientation.

I dont think an openly gay player would get much more abuse than anyone else after the initial 'banter'.
Unless, of course, he happened to play for Plymouth.

Terryhall

Here are the links to the players I was posting about before. Davis seems to still be playing at Gainsborough (6th tier of the pyramid)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/25735717
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/mar/29/robbie-rogers-coming-out-gay

Oldsmobile-88

I remember when Justin Fashanu 'came out' (never understand why that odd saying is used)
He was playing for Torquay at the time & they played the Grecians at Plainmoor in a 3rd Division game on NYD 1992..He got excruciating abuse (not banter) from less enlightened Grecian souls behind the goal.
The grin he gave them when he notched the winner complete with a 1-0 with his fingers was worth the entry money alone..

It was very sad that he took his own life just a few years later..

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Olds - "Came out" would refer to undisclosed homosexuals being "in the closet", so revealing themselves to be gay would be "coming out of the closet".

Glenn Hysen's lad came out while playing in Sweden, I assume the articles etc. refer to English/England-based players.

grecian55

Law of averages says that some footballers will be in "open-relationships " with their partners ,some will be into "Swinging" some will be into "Bondage "S&M" BDSM" "Water Sports " and every other current sexual practice but we do not polarise these people for what they get up to in their private lives ? so why is a Professional footballer coming out as being a practising Homosexual /Gay such a big deal ? when i hear a record by George Michael or Elton John i do not turn the radio off or start shouting about these people but the actual thought of a Gay person playing in a Professional football game will no doubt take us back 40/50 years to the dark days of British Football and British life in general and bring out the worst in a lot of narrow -minded people ?

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Bravo Jake Daniels.

dontpassback

The days of throwing fruit at coloured players,I hope are long since gone and the blackpool lad has shown great courage in speaking out,we live in 2022 and it shouldn’t be an issue,as others have said if the lad is good at what he does then it shouldn’t matter,it’s what he does with the ball that matters not his preferences and I hope he will be supported whenever he takes the pitch

DB9

The days of throwing fruit at coloured players,I hope are long since gone and the blackpool lad has shown great courage in speaking out,we live in 2022 and it shouldn’t be an issue,as others have said if the lad is good at what he does then it shouldn’t matter,it’s what he does with the ball that matters not his preferences and I hope he will be supported whenever he takes the pitch
And Yet...............