• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Finance Thread....

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Deliveroo is set to be listed on the stock exchange, it will be valued at several billion pounds however it isn't profitable. Last published results show revenue of 771 million and losses of 317 million.

It's yet another business that is basically insolvent without continued investment however it's founder will probably become a billionaire and other investors will make hundreds of millions.

Yet another example of the world being pretty fooked up due to a rigged system and greed.

Deliveroo to hand riders up to £10,000 in UK float - BBC News

Last edited:

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Deliveroo is set to be listed on the stock exchange, it will be valued at several billion pounds however it isn't profitable. Last published results show revenue of 771 million and losses of 317 million.

It's yet another business that is basically insolvent without continued investment however it's founder will probably become a billionaire and other investors will make hundreds of millions.

Yet another example of the world being pretty fooked up due to a rigged system and greed.

Deliveroo to hand riders up to £10,000 in UK float - BBC News
I assume you will not be investing then or is there a short term stagging opportunity ?

Grecian2K

I would strongly advise against it!
For example I've still got a tray of tulip bulbs in the shed left over from 1637.
Any bidders? (I will accept any currency. Even bitcoins - or Euros)

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I've got a fixed savings account coming to an end very soon. It's earned me diddly squat in the 6 years I've had it, and way behind inflation. The bank is offering me 0.25% going forward which just isn't worth the effort.

So where should I stick this lump of money? I'm not in to playing the markets, but happy to let someone else do it. I have an account with Vanguard and I see that they have many different portfolios on offer. I can go with the UK, Pacific or even emerging markets.

So without offering financial advice as determined by the FSA :) what would you all do with a lump sum?

angelic upstart

I've got a fixed savings account coming to an end very soon. It's earned me diddly squat in the 6 years I've had it, and way behind inflation. The bank is offering me 0.25% going forward which just isn't worth the effort.

So where should I stick this lump of money? I'm not in to playing the markets, but happy to let someone else do it. I have an account with Vanguard and I see that they have many different portfolios on offer. I can go with the UK, Pacific or even emerging markets.

So without offering financial advice as determined by the FSA :) what would you all do with a lump sum?
I would do a little research on global equity funds. Rathbone global opportunities, Baillie Gifford global alpha and fundsmith equity may be suitable.

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
Vanguard always seem pretty good, though I suspect they’re much of a much muchness.

Alistair20000

If risk averse buy Premium Bonds. Safe and you might land a big prize.

elginCity

So where should I stick this lump of money? I'm not in to playing the markets, but happy to let someone else do it.
Warrren Buffet would recommend a low-cost index tracker fund, highlighting the low-cost bit because the 'fees' often kill any meaningful gains.

LOG

So without offering financial advice as determined by the FSA
It's the FCA nowadays 🤓

I was just reading that BP are going to ask employees to work two days a week from home post lockdown and there was a story a couple of weeks ago where HSBC said they expected to ditch up to 40% of their office space. Many pensions invest in property funds to one extent or another and because of the uncertainty about whether home working would become the new norm, and the subsequent difficulty this created in putting longer term valuations on them, quite a few were suspended for a period last year.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster