• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Feckin' Dire Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
I have to agree. Its like my car creates cloaked Technology when I drive near Ikea and I think I know why..

Basically most people are still coming to Ikea for the first time and see a sign saying "superstore" and an arrow pointing to the right hand lane so assume its for Ikea and not Tesco .. soon as they pass the Kingdom of Rowe and Mr Lloyds gym they see Ikea and like a shot, move across three lanes not to miss the slip road for Ikea..

So until they changed the sign to show Ikea left lane and Tesco far right lane, then the risk of getting hit by a vauxhall Meriva or Citroen Picasso will be high

(Ikea still has cheapest hot dog in town mind)
You can only buy them if they have Swedish onions.

Swanaldo

Getting cut up at Sandy Gate roundabout (heading into Exeter) by drivers who are trying to work out which is the correct lane to be in.
The wider issue here is having the destinations painted on the road, rather than on signposts. Nobody thought to consider that, in queuing traffic approaching a roundabout, you can't see what's written on the tarmac because there will invariably be a car on top of it!

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Done on the cheap, wasn't it. Used concrete wherever they could get away with it, cheaper but far noisier and more hardwearing on your tyres. Only used tarmac in "noise sensitive" areas, but of course their definitions were widely different to yours, mine and the population at large. Fecking Barstewards ! :mad:
Not quite true.. It was deemed in the 1970's that area was very soft, boggy and liable to move so laying concrete made a stronger road surface.. You find a lot of these types of roads in areas of Somerset.. The M5 was also in the same boat for years but now with better techniques in foundations and tarmac they re did it in the 90's

LOG

Basically most people are still coming to Ikea for the first time and see a sign saying "superstore" and an arrow pointing to the right hand lane so assume its for Ikea and not Tesco .. soon as they pass the Kingdom of Rowe and Mr Lloyds gym they see Ikea and like a shot, move across three lanes not to miss the slip road for Ikea.
Back before Sandy Park and IKEA, i briefly worked on what was then something of a building site as the houses were going up in the Digby area.

The number cars that came off at the Tesco turn off then stopped to ask how to get to Dawlish was ridiculous but was all because the Dawlish sign was right after the Tesco exit so was rather confusing.

Swanaldo

I worked on a building site.
As what? The mascot?

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
As what? The mascot?
I bet he held the stop and go board

Alistair20000

Lionel makes a mean cup of the old chai, coffee and chocolat chaud. ;)

IndoMike

Back before Sandy Park and IKEA, i briefly worked on what was then something of a building site as the houses were going up in the Digby area.

The number cars that came off at the Tesco turn off then stopped to ask how to get to Dawlish was ridiculous but was all because the Dawlish sign was right after the Tesco exit so was rather confusing.
A building site??!! Log...? A building site ??!! Huh?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
We fought tooth and nail to get our regulations tightened up around cases where we suspected the student hadn't written their own work (bought their essay, for example). If we suspect this we invite the student to attend a viva. Previously if you didn't turn up for this it meant there was usually not enough evidence to proceed with the case, so guess what? Students told each other "Don't bother going, you'll get away with it!"

After much protest from our academic staff the regs were tightened up, meaning if you don't turn up you're assumed guilty. Much better, means the innocent ones actually turn up and defend their work.

I've just sent off my latest batch of viva reports including those where the student didn't turn up. Had an e-mail back saying while these ones will be processed, in future non-attendance at vivas will not be enough evidence to proceed.

AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

Grecian2K

You might suggest that those not turning up for their Viva are displaying a somewhat Cavalier attitude?

Status
Not open for further replies.