• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The FA Cup.

LammieLammieLammie

Very well known Exeweb poster
So many memories....

Graham Allner leading his Alvechurch team around SJP in 1973.. hard to beleive it was 38 years ago...
Harry Holman putting us 2-1 up against Wolves, and seeing the KKK on the big bank... and the graffitti about Sammy Chung which stayed for yonks.
Rico brilliant against Everton...

Haven't heard the phrase "greatest cup competition in the world" for at least three days.. Other memories?

Oldsmobile-88

Steve Biggins(or was it Christopher)..Missing from about 2 yards against Northampton in 1986...The SJP faithfull never really took to him after that...A hard crowd..:D..

Losing 2-1 at Bognor Regis & TC offering to sort a distruntled Grecian out....( image the indignation if exeweb was around in those days ;) ) No one gave a t*ss then..

That Wolves game was crazy...Pitch invasion prematch and all.....KKK scary stuff !

Last edited:

LammieLammieLammie

Wolves game was crazy. Was it Maurice Daley that equalized late on? I seem to remember Kells telling me that Sacky thought that Richard Key should have saved it...

Oldsmobile-88

Haven't heard the phrase "greatest cup competition in the world" for at least three days.. Other memories?
I'm afraid it is a little tarnished these days......

Saint James

Tamworth - that late late equalizer at a ground that Tivvy would have been unhappy to call their own. Rico in the 94th minute iirc?

Oldsmobile-88

Wolves game was crazy. Was it Maurice Daley that equalized late on? I seem to remember Kells telling me that Sacky thought that Richard Key should have saved it...
It was a good strike...It was one of the full backs that scored & my Rothmans are at home..

We would have played Arsenal at Highbury iirc....I was gutted when that one went in a minute from the end & then wondered how i was going to get back to Paris St Bus Station in one piece..:D...Quite a few of Wolves coaches were parked there & in Well St..

LammieLammieLammie

Yep, I always thought it was Steve Daley that scored, but I remember Ian Tarr correcting me. Don't remember our equaliser though...

I was at the front of the BB when there was the post match invasion and the crossbar got snapped a la tartan army at Wembley. Must have been the thing to do. Where were you watching from mate?

Oldsmobile-88

Tivvy would have been unhappy to call their own. Rico in the 94th minute iirc?
Minehead's ground made Ladymead look like the San Siro !!.....A rope around the pitch.No terracing,A temporary grandstand of planks & scaffolding poles....The game was filmed by Westward TV..Colin Randall bagged a couple & Kells scored in the first few minutes..That was a real banana skin....We then listened to the draw on the coaches on the way back to Exeter,great excitement when Wolves were drawn out...

PeteUSA

Richard was a brilliant keeper for us, but he should indeed have done better with their equaliser. The ball went over his head, and looked reachable. I thought at the time that it might have got a slight deflection which Key didnt bargain for. Either way, we didnt stick around contemplating it for long. The game ended, and the Wolves hoard were all over the pitch! The big bank end crossbar was snapped clean in half by them swinging on it, and they were throwing the corner flags indiscriminately into the city fans like javelins! The worst violence I've ever seen at SJP, and Man U in `1969 was bad enough!

LLL I must have been stood just behind you, about 7/8 yards back behind the big bank end goal.

Last edited:

LammieLammieLammie

Pete, I'd forgotten about the Javelins! Scary stuff. What happened in 69? I've not heard of trouble at that one.

Olds, Randall scored a screamer in that game didn't he? 35 yarder?

Last edited: