• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The end of the speed camera?

Daughter of I_M

Or, increase speed and drive past potential incident before it happens....

:D
D*ck........

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
But it's true. Sometimes it's better to accelerate past a potential incident than get caught up in it.

LOG

But sometimes speeding does not increase the chances of having an accident - excessive and inappropriate speed does, speed per se does not.

Is all I'm saying.
But then that is all about judgement and until that judgement is tested, you may not know what is excessive or inappropriate.

But it's true. Sometimes it's better to accelerate past a potential incident than get caught up in it.
According to someone I work with police drivers are trained to drive at high revs in a low gear (so will cruise on the motorway in 4th) as the car will react quicker if they need to accelerate.

crocks

Its all about common sense. You should drive at a speed that is appropriate for the conditions (state of the road, traffic, weather, built up area, lonely motorway etc etc). Problem is, many drivers lack basic common sense.

Red the Paper

Banned
Have done this on about 4 occasions I can remember. I recall driving on the M5 in the outside lane when a car up ahead in the middle lane (Jan I think) was overladen with garden furniture and it was obvious one of the chairs was about to fall off. Indeed it did and I accelerated quite dramatically to around 90/100 and the chair bounced over my car into the central reservation. Had I not increased my speed the chair would have smashed into my windscreen, that I am sure.

Speeding does kill, granted. As Crocks and Ant have both pointed out it is all about common sense and experience.

I have 6 points currently on my licence, all for speeding. All correctly given IMO, however I have slowed down in recent years and my experience tells me to drive slowly most of the time, but speed when necessary.

Speeding kills a lot less than drivers who go through a red light and more accidents are caused by drivers failing to stop at a red light than speeding per se. That is why cameras remain at traffic lights and have been removed from many of our roads.

Not sure if removing speed cameras are a good idea. Where there was a fixed camera before meant there has been a death or very serious accident before at that place. They are not placed somewhere just to raise money, they were placed somewhere to cut accidents. Without them will accidents increase again? Who knows

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
D*ck........
thank you for your contribution.

Tada