• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The end of the speed camera?

Bittners a Legend

Surely the argument is that speed CAN kill.

The faster you are going the smaller your reaction time will bet, the longer it will take you to slow down and your physical control over the vehicle will be less. Of course you may feel in control at 100MPH but that doesn't change the factors above and doesn't give you the ability to control the driving of others, or the weather or anything else.

Speed may not be the only thing that kills; and it may not always kill; but it most definitely does kill.

Last edited:

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Speed may not be the only thing that kills; and it may not always kill; but it most definitely does kill.
Then so does everything else. You start off by saying it CAN kill, now it's it definitely DOES kill. What rubbish.

Bittners a Legend

Then so does everything else. You start off by saying it CAN kill, now it's it definitely DOES kill. What rubbish.
You can play around with semantics as much as you like but speed does indeed kill people; whether it always kills people is irrelvant.

It isn't just your own life you endanger either but the lives of others. Regardless of how good a driver you may or may not be at 100 MPH you have less time to react to situations, it will physically take your car longer to break and it is equally hard for other cars to make judgements on your movements and speed unless they too drive at 100MPH.

Antony Moxey

You can play around with semantics as much as you like but speed does indeed kill people; whether it always kills people is irrelvant.

It isn't just your own life you endanger either but the lives of others. Regardless of how good a driver you may or may not be at 100 MPH you have less time to react to situations, it will physically take your car longer to break and it is equally hard for other cars to make judgements on your movements and speed unless they too drive at 100MPH.
Actually it's you who's playing with semantics. If I were to drive on a motorway at 3am and not see a single vehicle in front of me, nor one in my mirrors behind, and the weather is dry and still, what other cars' movements do I need to make judgements on - there aren't any within visible range. What situations do I need to react to? There's nothing about, and should I be doing 100mph, whose life am I endangering?

I couldn't agree more that there are many, many times when travelling beyond the speed limit is both dangerous and stupid, but at the same time that doesn't mean that every single time someone exceeds the speed limits baby foxes and children will die, nor indeed is the risk of them dying greater than if the posted limit was adhered to.

If speeding kills, then why aren't all emergency service personnel dead, and why haven't they left a trail of bodies in their wake?

LOG

Isn't a tyre more likely to blow at higher speeds and your chances of being able to control the vehicle thereafter much more difficult?

Is it ok to endanger only your own life by exceeding the limit when you consider what you may leave behind?

Antony Moxey

I don't know, is it? I thought tyres were rated according to speed. And anyway, whose to say you're necessarily endangering your own life? Sometimes exceeding the posted limit, whilst illegal granted, is safe, sometimes it isn't.

LOG

I don't know, is it? I thought tyres were rated according to speed. And anyway, whose to say you're necessarily endangering your own life? Sometimes exceeding the posted limit, whilst illegal granted, is safe, sometimes it isn't.
You're a stubborn fecker :)

Speed will not always cause an accident. Driving drunk will not always cause an accident. Driving along the pavement will not always cause an accident. Doing your make up whilst driving will not always cause an accident. All of them increase the chances but no accident means no road death.

That's all i'm saying.

Daughter of I_M

Surely it's kinda simple. Increased speed = hitting something harder.....

As I said, simples

Antony Moxey

You're a stubborn fecker :)

Speed will not always cause an accident. Driving drunk will not always cause an accident. Driving along the pavement will not always cause an accident. Doing your make up whilst driving will not always cause an accident. All of them increase the chances but no accident means no road death.

That's all i'm saying.
But sometimes speeding does not increase the chances of having an accident - excessive and inappropriate speed does, speed per se does not.

Is all I'm saying.

Antony Moxey

Surely it's kinda simple. Increased speed = hitting something harder.....

As I said, simples
Or, increase speed and drive past potential incident before it happens....

:D