• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The EFL Trophy - Thoughts?

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
It could be starting to fall apart. Man U and Spurs have declined to take part as the dates are international breaks and some of the players would be on international duty. Apparently Liverpool and man city have reservations. If more sides follow suit the efl will have to either admit defeat or push on and invite more sides potentially having to include a number a championship clubs.

The only bright spot was the possibility of playing the top teams b or u21 teams either at home or at a premier league venue. If it becomes the likes of Stoke and Watford plus some of the championship it could be even more of a flop than first predicted.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
It could be starting to fall apart. Man U and Spurs have declined to take part as the dates are international breaks and some of the players would be on international duty. Apparently Liverpool and man city have reservations. If more sides follow suit the efl will have to either admit defeat or push on and invite more sides potentially having to include a number a championship clubs.
Jeez what a farce. "We need this to let the younger players in PL squads play competitive football and here's a bribe so you agree to it" Then they schedule the matches it in international breaks when the players maybe elsewhere. It is pathetic. The Surrey Primary U10 league has better organisation.

Just forget the whole thing for this season and then put the whole tournament as it was to the vote of the clubs who have spent at least 3 seasons in L1 and L2 over the past 5 years as to whether they think it should continue. If the majority say yes, carry on. If they say no, scrap it full stop.

PeteUSA

Just forget the whole thing for this season and then put the whole tournament as it was to the vote of the clubs who have spent at least 3 seasons in L1 and L2 over the past 5 years as to whether they think it should continue. If the majority say yes, carry on. If they say no, scrap it full stop.
I think its safe to say that this proposal and requirement to vote wasn't presented to the various club representatives until the night of the mighting. I think its also safe to say that our particular representative went ahead and gave this plan the nod (and vote) without consulting anyone else within the club! My question would be; did every other club representative present make the same mistake? (which it surely is.) and give it the go ahead? Because for some strange reason, it seems like every other club agreed to it as well! My point is; I would suggest that we're in no position to "just forget the whole thing for this season". If it were that simple, I dont think our club representative would have had to meet with the trust board to explain his actions like he did. I think we're stuck with it!

Number13

So we must get paired with Southampton?

Red Lion

HERE you go then......
Thanks for that, that's really good!

Red Lion

Signed up and encouraging others to.....

PeteUSA

Do you think Tagg signed up?

Red Lion

Do you think Tagg signed up?

:D(tisdale)[tap]

Terryhall

Interesting developments with Man U and Spurs pulling out (as posted by R-P above). From here my thoughts would be:

Best outcome, the EFL and PL both realise at this stage that this is a non-starter, and drop this plan altogether.
Worst outcome, the EFL and PL push ahead and then regardless of how successful it may be, adopt this as a permanent model for the competition in future on the principle of "if we build it, they will come"
Most likely outcome, the EFL and PL push ahead for this season, it completely bombs, the final is between Blackburn U-23 and Fulham U-23 with less than 10,000 in attendance and the idea goes away for another few years.

PeteUSA

I take it that as I said above, we are stuck with this farcical plan aren't we?