The cult of personality

David Treharne

I was struck by a posting by Red Bill on another thread which was;

"One of the problems as I see it, is the myth that's built up that Tisdale is the only manager who's team....."

The important word is "myth" because it's indicative, in my view, of one of the issues that has beset the Club over the last three or four seasons (possibly longer) which is that the manager who is supposed to be running the football team has built up (or had built up by those around him) an unhealthy cult of personality. It was particularly brought home to me by an article about the manager in a recent programme, and the fact that Ashford Solicitors have seen fit to produce a life size picture of the manager alongside a space for (youthful) supporters to have their photograph taken. It's also interesting that all the talk of manager excellence in most of the press has been replaced by articles praising longevity of tenure and the stylishness of his match-day fashion choice. I don't say that this has been a conscious decision on his part, but it is another impediment in trying to fond a solution to the current problems that beset the whole management team.
Thoughts?

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
I was struck by a posting by Red Bill on another thread which was;

"One of the problems as I see it, is the myth that's built up that Tisdale is the only manager who's team....."

The important word is "myth" because it's indicative, in my view, of one of the issues that has beset the Club over the last three or four seasons (possibly longer) which is that the manager who is supposed to be running the football team has built up (or had built up by those around him) an unhealthy cult of personality. It was particularly brought home to me by an article about the manager in a recent programme, and the fact that Ashford Solicitors have seen fit to produce a life size picture of the manager alongside a space for (youthful) supporters to have their photograph taken. It's also interesting that all the talk of manager excellence in most of the press has been replaced by articles praising longevity of tenure and the stylishness of his match-day fashion choice. I don't say that this has been a conscious decision on his part, but it is another impediment in trying to fond a solution to the current problems that beset the whole management team.
Thoughts?
It may not be a "conscious decision" on his part, but it speaks volumes for the ego involved that he has let it happen....

dontpassback

Paul tisdale my lord ,paul tisdale,one of the songs previously sung on the bank.he is a football manager,nothing more,nothing less,and the myth of his tactical genius etc has long since gone.

It really frustrates me when you hear some pointless pundit on Channel 5 or wherever saying "Paul likes to play the right way" or "Exeter play good football". People swallow this crap though including some of our own supporters who choose to listen to this rather than see the real thing with their own eyes.

grecian55

The FA Cup games v Liverpool summed the whole thing up for me ,Potential Giant killing but all the press wanted to know was what Ted Baker would get his Clothes Horse to wear on National TV ,not a thought about some of our youngster pitting their wits against a premier league team and what it could lead too ,
He managed to ****** that up big time too through his "i know best /my way or the highway " philosophy ,.................He's a Clown .

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
That Liverpool fiasco; Who in their right mind would have put Clinton Morrison on from the start of that game? The man WAS a wonderfully gifted almost world class player in his time. I suspect Tisdale shoved him on at the beginning because he'd got it into his head that Morrison might strike fear into the Liverpool defenders heads. It probably took them five minutes to realise that Morrison was totally nackered, and couldnt run! That was a terrible error; hoping that some divine intervention would make Morrison come good just one last time. I have no doubt that incident p#ssed Nichols off, and he wanted away. Who could blame him.