• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The continuing saga of the scoreboard that seldom works

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Excellent work LOG.

Isca, I can only apologise, I didn't realise it was a joke.

Rae, I hesitate to correct you, but 'tadge' is not a word. I think you mean 'tad'.
No worries. :) Maybe it wasn't as funny as I thought. I did think it was clever, though. :)

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
About your enlarged ellipses, Mr Blake, ...
I can't disagree with FG, it's not something you should be too earnest about. The 'rules' for grammar can only ever be a guideline for clarity and usage. And a pretty ropey one at that - given they were originally created for Latin and then shoehorned into English which doesn't have the same conformities. (But keep that to yourself as some take it a tadge seriously).

And quite so, isca. :)
I only usually use them to make up the characters if my message is very short. Also I think some so called errors occur on occasions when, as I am now, posters are using tablets or phones.

As Satchmo said at the end of High Society "End of Story"

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wasn't correcting his grammar. It was a joke. And it was right.
Sorry to be dim, but while I get the difference between effect [noun] and affect [verb], I still can't see the joke. Would someone care to elaborate?

malcolms

Sorry to be dim, but while I get the difference between effect [noun] and affect [verb], I still can't see the joke. Would someone care to elaborate?
Emperor's new clothes mate....

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
... I hesitate to correct you, but 'tadge' is not a word. I think you mean 'tad'.
No, no, please do not hesitate. Whilst I use the one in place of the other, it isn't a standard word as currently recognised by the OED. It is, however, a colloquialism which may (or may not) be more rooted in my family than the wider world. I've used it for as long as I can remember. Proper rebel, me. :)

iscalad

No, no, please do not hesitate. Whilst I use the one in place of the other, it isn't a standard word as currently recognised by the OED. It is, however, a colloquialism which may (or may not) be more rooted in my family than the wider world. I've used it for as long as I can remember. Proper rebel, me. :)
Google as ever comes to the rescue..

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tadge

Iam of course referring to the first answer given NOT the second. :$

Last edited:

Boyo

Is anyone else concerned about the way the Club is 'consulting' fans on this topic? Ask your average bloke in the street if they would like to have X and the chances are they will say 'yes'. Give them a list of things that £50k could be spent on and you'll get a much more informed response.

Of course I would like to have a new scoreboard. If the cost is £50k then I'm less keen, unless the anticipated additional income covers that within a short period. Give me a list of other projects that need doing that cost £50k and I may have a different opinion.

citizen

Is anyone else concerned about the way the Club is 'consulting' fans on this topic? Ask your average bloke in the street if they would like to have X and the chances are they will say 'yes'. Give them a list of things that £50k could be spent on and you'll get a much more informed response.

Of course I would like to have a new scoreboard. If the cost is £50k then I'm less keen, unless the anticipated additional income covers that within a short period. Give me a list of other projects that need doing that cost £50k and I may have a different opinion.
Personally I would rather they kept the £ 50K and reduce my ticket price to under £23!

Grecian2K

I'm with our Raemondo on this one....especially apt for the morning after during this "Festering" season
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=badgers tadger

iscalad

I'm with our Raemondo on this one....especially apt for the morning after during this "Festering" season
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=badgers tadger
I shall spend the rest of the day wondering how anyone found out that, that part of a badger's anatomy is rough.