• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The National League (Conference) and non league football thread

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Don't be silly, I most certainly was not.
I didn’t think for a second you would be 😁

Grecian2K

Indeed.
Often forgotten,but Newport won Division 3 South in 1938/39 so started 46/47 in the 2nd Division.
You would never think that ground held 2nd tier football !
Surprised at that comment Olds....would have thought you'd have known that it even hosted a European Quarter Final as well (during our lifetimes!)

Oh, and ps. I can assure you that my motor bike chain always stayed firmly attached to the machine - they were far too expensive to waste on mere footballing adventures. :p

Oldsmobile-88

I do remember that game G2K against a East German team in the ECWC q/f in March 1981 Carl Zeiss Jena.

They drew the 1st Leg 2-2 & lost 1-0 at Somerton Park infront of a full house(around 18,000 in those days)

*G2K,you will have to put your reminiscing of the motor bike ride to Workington on the Classic match thread*

Oldsmobile-88

Surprised at that comment Olds....would have thought you'd have known that it even hosted a European Quarter Final as well (during our lifetimes!)
How did Newport not get anything from that game !
I remember watching it on Sportsnight all of those years ago.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Remember Steve Evans and Boston United and their tax problem? Here's a reminder from The Atheltic

Oldsmobile-88

Hereford are struggling in National League North these days & have been even lower in recent seasons
It’s easy to forget that they spent one season in Division 2/Championship in 1976/77.
Incredibly that was only 4 seasons after being elected into the FL.
Table is from early May 1977.
33990DFB-D67A-4239-813C-FC2F0397EED3.jpeg

Grecian2K

And more than a quarter of those teams have subsequently had spells down in non-league!

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Hereford are struggling in National League North these days & have been even lower in recent seasons
It’s easy to forget that they spent one season in Division 2/Championship in 1976/77.
Incredibly that was only 4 seasons after being elected into the FL.
Table is from early May 1977.
View attachment 2652
Having won the Third Division title the season before, helped by Dixie McNeil, who was the leading scorer in the Football League.

Red Devon

Must have been a tasty Nottingham derby that season.

DB9

Nearly two years since this was first muted, Has there been any progress on this or was it just pie in the sky stuff?