• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The National League (Conference) and non league football thread

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Always stood there myself mate..Just to the right of the goal on the railings.View attachment 1477
Photo is from Oct 1973 with me at the front middle with the scarf.😁
Have you aged well Olds? 😆

Red Devon

Always stood there myself mate..Just to the right of the goal on the railings.View attachment 1477
Photo is from Oct 1973 with me at the front middle with the scarf.😁

Amazing photo I was probably just out of shot😌...I’d forgotten all about the circled faces competition it used to be the first thing I’d look for in the next home game programme. 👍

Oldsmobile-88

No doubt they still have supporters around today from those sad times, We almost certainly would have been standing in the St James Road End in those days.
In the vote for re election.
Northampton : 49(who were in Division 1 six years before)
Stockport : 46
Crewe : 46
Barrow : 26
Hereford : 26
Bradford PA : 1
Cambridge C : 1
Wimbledon : 1
No votes for Bangor,Bedford,Boston,Hillingdon,Romford,Telford
Wigan,Yeovil.

In the 2nd ballot : Barrow 20 Hereford 29.
Herefords stock was high because of the FA Cup run & probably just as important in many clubs minds,not remote unlike Barrow.

Barrow applied for election the following season & did not get a single vote.

Red Devon

In the vote for re election.
Northampton : 49(who were in Division 1 six years before)
Stockport : 46
Crewe : 46
Barrow : 26
Hereford : 26
Bradford PA : 1
Cambridge C : 1
Wimbledon : 1
No votes for Bangor,Bedford,Boston,Hillingdon,Romford,Telford
Wigan,Yeovil.

In the 2nd ballot : Barrow 20 Hereford 29.
Herefords stock was high because of the FA Cup run & probably just as important in many clubs minds,not remote unlike Barrow.

Barrow applied for election the following season & did not get a single vote.

Very close to re writing history one more vote in the first ballot is all it would have taken.

Grecian2K

You must have been rather wicked in your youth mate? No halo for you there "m'lad"! :D

Oldsmobile-88

Very close to re writing history one more vote in the first ballot is all it would have taken.
Indeed.
In the 1975 re election Workington were re elected with only 20 votes !
Yeovil had 14 votes.
There were 34 votes spread across all of the teams wanting election...Chelmsford 4 votes & Goole Town 2 votes amongst many others who picked up votes at the AGM.

DB9

Indeed.
Yeovil had 14 votes.
There were 34 votes spread across all of the teams wanting election...Chelmsford 4 votes & Goole Town 2 votes amongst many others who picked up votes at the AGM.
This re-election business was really an old boys closed shop club

Oldsmobile-88

This re-election business was really an old boys closed shop club
Yep.
After only one team was allowed from the NPL & Southern League at the AGM elections(1976 on)
Wimbledon replaced replacing Workington(1977) Wigan replaced Southport(1978)after which no other teams were replaced in the re election process,despite from 1980 until 1986 only the winner of the Alliance Premier League(Conference) could be put up for election.

Southport were the last team to lose their place in the re election process.
It was a surprise at the time,but apparently it emerged that the Chairman of Southport did not bother to canvass the other FL clubs for votes.
Wigan had Sir Alf Ramsey canvassing for them & he made sure all the Midlands clubs voted for Wigan(manager at Birmingham at the time)

Oldsmobile-88

Indeed.
Yeovil had 14 votes.
Slight error with my memory.
It was 1976 that Workington had a low number of votes for re-election,Just 21. (28 in 1975)

Yeovil : 18
Kettering : 14
Wigan : 6
Chelmsford : 3
Wimbledon : 3
Nuneaton : 2
Telford : 2
Gainsborough : 1
Scarborough : 1

Workington only had 21 votes in the next re election season(1977)too,because only two non league teams were allowed into the ballot it spelt the end of their FL status,as the votes were no longer spread over a lot of teams.
Wimbledon picked up 28 votes.
The other candidate Altrincham had 12 votes.

Red Devon

Slight error with my memory.
It was 1976 that Workington had a low number of votes for re-election,Just 21. (28 in 1975)

Yeovil : 18
Kettering : 14
Wigan : 6
Chelmsford : 3
Wimbledon : 3
Nuneaton : 2
Telford : 2
Gainsborough : 1
Scarborough : 1

Workington only had 21 votes in the next re election season(1977)too,because only two non league teams were allowed into the ballot it spelt the end of their FL status,as the votes were no longer spread over a lot of teams.
Wimbledon picked up 28 votes.
The other candidate Altrincham had 12 votes.

Can only ever remember Workington being embroiled in re-election battles it seemed to a guaranteed 4 Points every season against them and hard to believe that Bill Shankly was once the manager there...Dad has always had a soft spot for them and still looks for their results today.