• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The big bank

scholsey

Was F'ing dreadful yesterday! Not one song all game, well not one loud one that Newport would of heard! 12th man? Pffft geniunely heard more noise at torquy! More noise in the flybe too, at least we tried to sing a few.

Sort it out!

HarryECFC

I'd say one or two at the start were loud.
Anyway i'm not involved in attempting to make the atmosphere better anymore.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
The BB without anything leading it is pretty crap, English atmosphere relies on being close to the away fans really these days and SJP has none of that

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
The cowshed used to rock and on a good day was very noisy and hostile. I dont think there was a group as such that took the lead but we were closer to the away fans.

Its the 16 to 30 year olds that should be getting the chants going but these days its more about the look than the noise. Its just a sign of the times. Too many pansies these days.

fisherman69

when I was a kid in the cowshed the leader was chris cosway along with slim and mike hooper think his name was, and the atmosphere was brilliant. Mind you one verse of knees up mother brown these days and the stewards would be having babies and crying in their bovril lol

when I was a kid in the cowshed the leader was chris cosway along with slim and mike hooper think his name was, and the atmosphere was brilliant. Mind you one verse of knees up mother brown these days and the stewards would be having babies and crying in their bovril lol
It was those magic days in the Cowshed that really got me hooked to going up the park. These days it really is a dull couple of hours unless a few early goals. Would be great if the club could look at this, I know a thread was around about trying to put something up at the ends of the Big Bank to retain some noise. The Shed would be packed in the centre with plenty of atmosphere, these days it is a quiet cold few hours on the bank. One reason I usually stay at home with my £17 on a Saturday.

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Big Bank has been steadily getting worse since 2003ish.

I wonder if it's because the last of the Cowshedders have grown up and can't be arsed to make the noise anymore, and the new young'uns don't know any better.

Certainly when there is noise the diversity of the songs is much worse than it used to be.

Grecian_Jay

I think there are a few reasons. One of the main ones is that you cannot sing anything these days, the best football chants are the ones that have a bit of edge and invoke some retalliation, do this and you're out on your ear. The world is too precious (as this place shows everyday).

Add in the fact that although the Siege Army made a good effort, they went about it the wrong way and rather than including the few who do still sing on the BB, they decided to go against them.

Tisdale's style of play does nothing to bring on a good atmosphere, flat, boring tactics from the off which isn't conducive to a good atmosphere.

And lastly the layout of the ground. Too open and too far away from any visiting fans. I would rather convert the away end into a deeper terrace with a roof and sides and get the ones who want to sing in there and have away fans in end of Grandstand/Flybe so you can have a bit of a ding-dong with them.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
And lastly the layout of the ground. Too open and too far away from any visiting fans. I would rather convert the away end into a deeper terrace with a roof and sides and get the ones who want to sing in there and have away fans in end of Grandstand/Flybe so you can have a bit of a ding-dong with them.
Not gonna happen; SJP cannot realistically be adapted to achieve this while maintaining reasonable separation because of the street configuration. Inspector Plod of D&C Constabulary will insist on keeping the current arrangements whereby the away fans can be kept separate from the BB. Just look at the idiotic layout of Gnome Park, where the away fans have to wait for half an hour after the game then walk round 3 sides of the ground in front of the home hooligans, and you can see why.

Grecian_Jay

Not gonna happen; SJP cannot realistically be adapted to achieve this while maintaining reasonable separation because of the street configuration. Inspector Plod of D&C Constabulary will insist on keeping the current arrangements whereby the away fans can be kept separate from the BB. Just look at the idiotic layout of Gnome Park, where the away fans have to wait for half an hour after the game then walk round 3 sides of the ground in front of the home hooligans, and you can see why.
I am aware of this JW, it was a preferred situation for myself. We have to get used to the fact that a football experience at SJP these days is one of the most boring ways to spend an afternoon.