• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The BBC

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
You think the circumstances are the same?
There may be better examples than Clarkson who did get a red card for violent conduct as Egg and others point out but the principle remains the same.

Alistair20000

And just as many who were outraged at Clarkson et als cancellation who are delighting in Lineker's departure.

There's certainly nobody of a right leaning nature on these boards questioning the Beeb's decision. Care to be the first? Go on, make my day.
I would take the line that as long as Lineker (or anyone else) does not take a side that is politically judgmental or makes such a comment on a BBC programme they are presenting then that is not for the BBC to get involved in.

Unless of course there is something specific in the agreed contract between the parties that has imposed restrictions.

Not sure if that makes your day or not and I may not be representative of the phrase "right leaning" whatever that means.

Grecian2K

It might be enlightening were Mr Lineker to release the exact details of his contract regarding possible restrictions.

Assuming of course that the current Chairman does the same regarding political contributions and referrals for bungs to the PM at the time to get the gig.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
There may be better examples than Clarkson who did get a red card for violent conduct as Egg and others point out but the principle remains the same.
Like this you mean?!
Genuinely struggling to think of many, if any, on the right who've been relieved of their duties with the BBC because of things they've said or written elsewhere. That said, I guess the BBC is always, to some extent, in thrall to the party of government and if you go back to the era of New Labour this may have been different.

Mr Jinx

If reports are to be believed, motd viewing figures for last night are up 500k on the usual.

angelic upstart

If reports are to be believed, motd viewing figures for last night are up 500k on the usual.
Yep, but will be much lower once the streams are included I'd imagine.

Funny how all the defund the BBC mob still watch it isn't it?

Mr Jinx

Yep, but will be much lower once the streams are included I'd imagine.

Funny how all the defund the BBC mob still watch it isn't it?
Perhaps they're trying to get value for money, seeing as if they don't pay up they may go to prison.

fred binneys head

The principle doesn’t remain the same unless you have better examples, surely?

angelic upstart

Perhaps they're trying to get value for money, seeing as if they don't pay up they may go to prison.
It's more likely they're just massive hypocrites, which you knew anyway I'm sure.

Incidentally, when I got done for not paying for a TV license (not mine I hasten to add) I didn't even get fined, I just had to pay the TV license money itself. I suspect this was the norm although it was about 20 years ago now.

Radio Free Skaro

What Governments aren’t allergic to criticism, especially when the state broadcaster has a statutory obligation to remain impartial.
A point you seem to be missing with respect.
Lineker ,has attacked Labour in previous tweets so there is a balance. Funny that his tweets critical of Labour received zero attention!