• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The BBC

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
TBF Lineker is quite true in saying that, If though his twitter account is through the BBC then they can get rid, If it's his private one then they can't do a thing about the account, They could although sack him if they deem something he tweets is bringing the Corperation into disgrace.
Whatever he's doing, he's on thin ice.

I get the feeling that are more people in this country that really dislike him than there are that really like him.

Banksy

TBF Lineker is quite true in saying that, If though his twitter account is through the BBC then they can get rid, If it's his private one then they can't do a thing about the account, They could although sack him if they deem something he tweets is bringing the Corperation into disgrace.
Sack him and his cronies and all the other hanger ons and give us a rebate on our licences.

DB9

Sack him and his cronies and all the other hanger ons and give us a rebate on our licences.
I'm genuinely not bothered about the BBC and the licence fee, although the over 75's should get them free across the board. As for a rebate on what people percieve, We don't from local government when we think the same so why should it apply here? Now we have so many platforms to watch TV there should be an option to "Opt out" if you so desire. As for pay, It may seem a lot to us but then there are loads of jobs that are paid a lot better than me, its life, They would get offered a lot more on commercial TV.

The thing that gets me about the BBC is some of their presenters are paid by their private arm BBC studios where they don't have to publish their biggest earners. Offically the BBC want you to know that Zoe Ball is their highest earner (£1m pay rise for losing 1m listeners) but really its Graham Norton, earning £3m-£4m pa but paid through BBC Studios so doesn't have to be recorded on offical figures, They need to be more honest with people.

Banksy

I like that opt out option very much DB9.So many things to watch these days I’m not bothered about what the Corporation has to offer. The only BBC programs I watch these days are because I can’t be bothered to get out of my comfy chair and the wife is watching one.Even then I‘ll probably watch something on YouTube through earphones.

DB9

I like that opt out option very much DB9.So many things to watch these days I’m not bothered about what the Corporation has to offer. The only BBC programs I watch these days are because I can’t be bothered to get out of my comfy chair and the wife is watching one.Even then I‘ll probably watch something on YouTube through earphones.
With the opt out thing is that you could still see BBC programmes via other platforms like Amazon, Netflix and britbox and those platforms pay the BBC to have programmes on them and you pay as part of your monthly subscription, britbox itself is part owned by the BBC so there are possibilities of funding themselves with less compulsory license fees.

Rosencrantz

With the opt out thing is that you could still see BBC programmes via other platforms like Amazon, Netflix and britbox and those platforms pay the BBC to have programmes on them and you pay as part of your monthly subscription, britbox itself is part owned by the BBC so there are possibilities of funding themselves with less compulsory license fees.
If people want to opt out of paying the license fee, would you then take away access to the radio stations (national and local) as well as all the UKTV channels and Channel 4 channels as well and iPlayer?

It would be a big chunk of Freeview channels gone.

DB9

If people want to opt out of paying the license fee, would you then take away access to the radio stations (national and local) as well as all the UKTV channels and Channel 4 channels as well and iPlayer?

If people want to opt out then that would be explained that its not just BBC TV you'd lose, People are peeved off with the BBC but can't pick and choose what they would opt out of, All or nothing. Channel 4 i think use to get money via the licence fee but is now not recieving any monies and are wholly reliant on advertising, That is why the quality of their programmes have dramatically dropped and rely on cheap reality shows.

"Channel Four Television Corporation was set up by an Act of Parliament. It is a publicly owned not-for-profit corporation and does not have any shareholders. ... Unlike the BBC, Channel 4 receives no public funding. It is funded entirely by its own commercial activities"

DB9

DB9

BBC had first refusal on the All Creatures Great And Small reboot being shown on C5, Decided to turn it down because they said they need to appeal to a younger audience, Now the audience figures are out and it pulled in 3.9m viewers, Quite a big coup for C5. The BBC just don't get it, If they're trying for the mainly under 40's viewer then they'll lose out as most under that age group don't watch TV in the way older viewers do, They stream and look on their phones/iPads.

And to rub it in, The audience figures for a new primetime show on BBC1 on Saturday night about Little Mix finding someone to sing (Have no idea really as haven't watched it) pulled in a paultry 1.9m! Don't the BBC and others realise the audience they're after, As well as not watching TV like people use to, They go out at the weekend and don't bother staying in?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member

Is BBC Studios funded by the licence fee? Genuine question, as I'm not sure (I know it's a for-profit operation). If it's entirely privately funded, then your point becomes moot.

I'd be open to the idea of the BBC functioning as a subscription service as a replacement for the fee (aka the TV Tax), and I would almost certainly pay for it - I couldn't get by without the trio of quizzes that form the staple of my "live" TV watching!