• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The BBC

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
My issue with Lineker is that I can’t choose not to pay the licence fee if he p*sses me off with his political views.
I only mentioned the BBC charter in relation to Dan Walker who’s job is in news and current affairs and IMO him responding to and opining on a political point by a government minister puts him potentially at odds with the charter’s rules on impartiality.
Just out of interest, would you say it's fair, for say, the military or the police to be interviewed by a broadcaster to provide an opinion on who should be voted for?

angelic upstart

GB News is now bringing audiences which are comparible to Sky News, BBC News 24, It took a while but is getting there, Saying this News Channels audiences are usually very small. On the subject of BBC presenters earners being published, I think it is over a certain level they get to be made public plus it was a Government idea to do this (Probably to get "Angry of Tunbridge Wells" hot under the collar)

Why we don't see other channels giving out their presenters earnings is because they are not funded by the licence fee and are private, Commercial companies.
GB news, only get comparable viewers currently for 1 or 2 hours a day. But you're right, they're getting there. Does make you wonder why someone would pay so much money for a relatively small amount of viewers though.

You're right re BBC pay, and I'm all for the transparency myself. But to say they're all massively paid, as is made out, is largely a lie. It's just a stick to beat it with by those with agendas.

DB9

GB news, only get comparable viewers currently for 1 or 2 hours a day. But you're right, they're getting there. Does make you wonder why someone would pay so much money for a relatively small amount of viewers though.

You're right re BBC pay, and I'm all for the transparency myself. But to say they're all massively paid, as is made out, is largely a lie. It's just a stick to beat it with by those with agendas.
They're paid well to us Joe Public but they can earn much, much more if they go to a commercial station, My view is if you want decent talent then you have to pay for it, Just like any other industry, Publicly funded or not.

angelic upstart

Yes, agreed, it doesn't make sense anyone would be annoyed by this.
Following on from this, I discovered that the BBC still play the national anthem on radio 4 every day when it closes down! I'm not sure what other channels they have that close down, but no harm in chucking in a gstq when doing so.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
They're paid well to us Joe Public but they can earn much, much more if they go to a commercial station, My view is if you want decent talent then you have to pay for it, Just like any other industry, Publicly funded or not.
Quite. There's a certain irony that many of those who espouse a free market then complain about what it delivers.

I have the same issue with all those who complain footballers are overpaid. In some senses they are, but they're only paid what the market dictates and, moreover, paying Cristiano Ronaldo less wouldn't give us more doctors or nurses. If that's what you want then don't vote for a party of low taxation.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Following on from this, I discovered that the BBC still play the national anthem on radio 4 every day when it closes down! I'm not sure what other channels they have that close down, but no harm in chucking in a gstq when doing so.
Reasonably sure the BBC TV channels did this until relatively recently – I can certainly remember it – but, I guess, the issue is they broadcast 24/7 now so the opportunity doesn't arise.

angelic upstart

Reasonably sure the BBC TV channels did this until relatively recently – I can certainly remember it – but, I guess, the issue is they broadcast 24/7 now so the opportunity doesn't arise.
They did until 1997 when they went 24 hours.

fred binneys head

Quite. There's a certain irony that many of those who espouse a free market then complain about what it delivers.

I have the same issue with all those who complain footballers are overpaid. In some senses they are, but they're only paid what the market dictates and, moreover, paying Cristiano Ronaldo less wouldn't give us more doctors or nurses. If that's what you want then don't vote for a party of low taxation.
Karl Marx would have loved the football industry - the wages going to the productive worker, not the capitalist owners - the revolution has begun, comrades!

Spoonz Red E

Karl Marx would have loved the football industry - the wages going to the productive worker, not the capitalist owners - the revolution has begun, comrades!
Come on you Reds!

geoffwp

Come on you Reds!
Yep. I'm so glad my team play in RED.