• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The BBC

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Well, yeah, but like I said stacked with provisos and caveats. Not that Lineker took any of them truly on board. I doubt very much he'll see the five years out.
Let’s hope not.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm now trying to think what I last watched on the BBC that would warrant me shelling out £140 odd quid (which is a little under what I pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime combined) next year to keep my license. I'll be honest, I am struggling. The last six months has been mostly repeats anyway.
Yesterday I cravenly coughed up £157.50 by direct debit - I just wish I had the guts or know-how to avoid payment. Googling the Graun it seems my circumstances tells me there is no legal way of avoidance which means the Beeb continues to live like a whore on the backs of others.

Programme-wise it's mostly cheapo made crepe which requires you to be intersted in buying/selling houses or choosing whether to live by the coast or in the countryside. Next up a plethora of cooking, gardening, buying/selling antiques or climbing into someones' skip to rescue and tart up some old sofa. 😩

Mr Jinx

Yesterday I cravenly coughed up £157.50 by direct debit - I just wish I had the guts or know-how to avoid payment. Googling the Graun it seems my circumstances tells me there is no legal way of avoidance which means the Beeb continues to live like a whore on the backs of others.

Programme-wise it's mostly cheapo made crepe which requires you to be intersted in buying/selling houses or choosing whether to live by the coast or in the countryside. Next up a plethora of cooking, gardening, buying/selling antiques or climbing into someones' skip to rescue and tart up some old sofa. 😩
Indeed, it's mostly shít. The same goes for C4. How they have fallen! There was a time there'd be at least one original documentary a night to watch on BBC4. Now they're all repeats. There is the odd good documentary on BBC2 but they're very few and far between these days. The last one I watched was the 3 parter on the Murdoch empire. It was OK, but they could've squashed the three hours into 2. As for C4, it's now resorting to stuff like Gogglebox, Undateables and Dating in the Nude. Where do you start?

It's funny I should be writing this, but the once Somalia & Zimbabwe of television: ITV & C5 are really making a fist of things these days. I've found myself watching more and more of them. There was 'Des' last week and this week I've been watching Appropriate Adult (ok, it's a repeat). And on C5 last night was a two hour documentary on Brunel, at the peak time too! You'd never get that these days on the Beeb.

How to avoid paying? It's tricky, but there's plenty of websites dedicated to it. If you really never watch the BBC and can prove as much to the visiting TV police, then you should be fine. I don't think I can be bothered to avoid payment as I would still be watching it occasionally. It's just that I'm watching way way less of it than I used to. The same goes for Sky, but I'm sacking them soon. At least with them I get a choice to not pay.

IBA

Let's be honest, the BBC is a fooking joke.

They are continually moaning about a lack of cash yet Lineker is still on not far off 2 million despite a pay cut, he recently signed a 5 year contract, WTF. His mate Shearer is on nearly 400k despite offering next to nothing. I've never met anyone who watches MOTD because Lineker and Shearer are on it. It's ridiculous, loads of people could do a great job for 100k a year. Zoe Ball is on around 1.4 million, newsreaders are picking up 500k a year, someone like John McEnroe gets 200k for a few appearances at Wimbledon each year.

They have often used the excuse that they need to pay good money to keep their best staff, would Zoe Ball get 1.4 million a year anywhere else, of course she wouldn't, she'd be lucky to get 200k. Would Huw Edwards get 500k elsewhere, no chance, I only see him once or twice a week, it really is a massive p1$$ take.
It's world renowned quality Broadcaster, if you look at other countries TV the UK is up there with the best.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's world renowned quality Broadcaster, if you look at other countries TV the UK is up there with the best.
On an average day what is so good about it ?

Don't get done get Dom, Bargain hunt, Escape to the country, The one show....

Hardly earth shattering stuff !

ps. BBC comedy is sh!t.

IBA

ps. BBC comedy is sh!t.
The BBC has to appeal to all tastes, I fcuking hate Eastenders, but lots of people enjoy it
Today I have listened to radio 4, radio 5, watched ghosts on iplayer and pmqs, looked at the website several times. I rejoice in the fact that there is a commercial free zone in which my kids and I can spend time without being bombarded by advertisements for products we don't need. The philosophy of the BBC, to inform, educate and entertain is a brilliant one.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
To be fair you are making a decent argument.

There are some excellent aspects to the BBC however I think it could be much better and the salaries being handed out to many are clearly obscene.

iscalad

ps. BBC comedy is sh!t.
Try Motherland or Ghosts.😀

Oldsmobile-88

There is no broadcaster to touch the BBC for the big occasion.

Yep they do pay daft salaries for pretty average presenters it has to be said.

I expect there are more managers per head than in the NHS..

iscalad

There is no broadcaster to touch the BBC for the big occasion.

Yep they do pay daft salaries for pretty average presenters it has to be said.

I expect there are more managers per head than in the NHS..
Ever watched W1A?