• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The BBC

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
A look at the Companies House Beta service (free) gives me the turnover figure for that company as it is medium sized and is required to file a profit and loss account. I anticipate that this is the sources where endole found their info. Where else would they get it from ?

However, let us get back to the point. You were referring to turnover for micro entities that are exempt from filing detailed accounts. Some dopey accountants file more info than is required but I remain unconvinced that you can identify turnover for very many limited companies turning over around £5,000 per annum. Sole traders and partnerships do not have to file accounts in the public domain of course.
You can view micro company accounts. You will generally require a paid membership to access them though.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
You can view micro company accounts. You will generally require a paid membership to access them though.
I can view micro accounts free on Companies House. Other than in a few cases where too more information is filed than is legally required I will not see a turnover figure. Are you suggesting micro businesses report their turnover somewhere else in the public domain ? And partnership and sole traders ?

Sorry Chap. Not buying this one without evidence of actual cases.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The commentary team on Radio Devon keep mis-identifying our players. Where's the petition to defund the BBC?

lamrobhero

Latest BBC news item: The Fincen Files - Leaked documents involving about $2tn of transactions have revealed how some of the world's biggest banks have allowed criminals to move dirty money around the world.

which follows on from The Paradise Papers and The Panama Papers

Are you sure an oligarch owned media universe is in our interest?

Rosencrantz

Latest BBC news item: The Fincen Files - Leaked documents involving about $2tn of transactions have revealed how some of the world's biggest banks have allowed criminals to move dirty money around the world.

which follows on from The Paradise Papers and The Panama Papers

Are you sure an oligarch owned media universe is in our interest?
To be fair, I think Private Eye has been banging away on this for years as well as LLP's and brass plate companies.

Mr Jinx

I love the BBC too and in the past (including the very recent past) I would have been the first person to queue up for a new license every year.

But over the past 18 months, however, my appetite has soured, somewhat considerably.

A lot of this is down to their highest earner, Gary Lineker, who, is never slow to spout off his liberal pontificating böllocks to all and sundry. Now this wouldn't matter if he were solely a presenter for BT or Sky or whoever in the private sector. But because he's taking the BBC coin which is basically that of the English taxpayer, somewhat under duress, he should be careful how he treads.

This was all inflamed recently when the new DG, Tim Davie, seemingly clipped Lineker's wings by cutting his pay whilst giving him a last warning about airing his views on things not related to what he is presenting. Lineker's reaction was like that of a naughty schoolboy who had been caned but with his fingers crossed behind his back whilst, as ever, eliciting a cheeky grin and wink.

Then days later we understand Sue Barker has been let go against her wishes to let someone in that is of colour. That for me was the last straw.

I'm now trying to think what I last watched on the BBC that would warrant me shelling out £140 odd quid (which is a little under what I pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime combined) next year to keep my license. I'll be honest, I am struggling. The last six months has been mostly repeats anyway.

Last edited:

Grecian2K

I watched Ghosts last night. Worth every penny. (Plus, hopefully, the next Line of Duty should be out soon).

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
This was all inflamed recently when the new DG, Tim Davie, seemingly clipped Lineker's wings by cutting his pay whilst giving him a last warning about airing his views on things not related to what he is presenting.
At the same time he handed Lineker a 5 year contract.

Mr Jinx

At the same time he handed Lineker a 5 year contract.
Well, yeah, but like I said stacked with provisos and caveats. Not that Lineker took any of them truly on board. I doubt very much he'll see the five years out.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I doubt very much he'll see the five years out.
🤞