• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The BBC

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Look at their accounts.
Where do you look at the accounts ?

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Where do you look at the accounts ?
I have access to various avenues including the likes of www.endole.co.uk.

Next question.

Alistair20000

Looking at the link and putting in the names of some businesses I know about, the data seems to come from Companies House filings which do not disclose turnover.

Micro businesses turning over £5,000 per annum or less are not likely to be limited companies and their turnover will not be in the public domain.

I am not convinced your sauces are reliable unless you have hacked into the records of HMRC. :)

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Looking at the link and putting in the names of some businesses I know about, the data seems to come from Companies House filings which do not disclose turnover.

Micro businesses turning over £5,000 per annum or less are not likely to be limited companies and their turnover will not be in the public domain.

I am not convinced your sauces are reliable unless you have hacked into the records of HMRC. :)
The free link only gives you an overview of businesses, although on some it does list revenues as well as other details.

The paid for version gives you access to full accounts.

I agree with you that tiddlers aren't generally limited companies however some are.

I'd like to prove your first point wrong, this company isn't a tiddler however it does show turnover details (even on the free version):

Last edited:

iscalad

The free link only gives you an overview of businesses, although on some it does list revenues as well as other details.

I agree with you that tiddlers aren't generally limited companies however some are.

I'd like to prove your first point wrong, this company isn't a tiddler however it does show turnover details (even on the free version):

I see lots of Moorcroft on Bargain Hunt
BBC 1 12:15 Monday to Friday

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
There is a lot that's good about the BBC.

The public service ethos, the reach across the world which shouldn't be underestimated when the alternatives are Fox, Russia Today and Al Jazeera, the radio, especially local radio which is a lifeline to many,, including coverage of local sport.

TMS for me remains worth the licence fee by itself but I accept that is a niche view. The World Service is hugely important still. Political coverage, on balance, is better than all other domestic channels. There is BBC Parlianent for the committed. Even the weather remains streets ahead of Sky and ITV. CBBC and CBeebies were saviours at times when ghe kids were little.

Are sone people already mentioned massively overpaid. Yes
Is it obviously overstaffed with management. Yes
Is it trying too hard to be woke, Yes. Career prospects for white makes over 50 are limited, Lineker excepted seemingly.

I'm not sure how the future looks. I'd like to think that the differntial of the BBC as a nationally public funded service had a place for the decades to come. It needs to be more nimble and do what it is good at rather than paying vastly inflated sums for tossers like Graham Norton though.

Alistair20000

A look at the Companies House Beta service (free) gives me the turnover figure for that company as it is medium sized and is required to file a profit and loss account. I anticipate that this is the sources where endole found their info. Where else would they get it from ?

However, let us get back to the point. You were referring to turnover for micro entities that are exempt from filing detailed accounts. Some dopey accountants file more info than is required but I remain unconvinced that you can identify turnover for very many limited companies turning over around £5,000 per annum. Sole traders and partnerships do not have to file accounts in the public domain of course.

older-codger

A look at the Companies House Beta service (free) gives me the turnover figure for that company as it is medium sized and is required to file a profit and loss account. I anticipate that this is the sources where endole found their info. Where else would they get it from ?

However, let us get back to the point. You were referring to turnover for micro entities that are exempt from filing detailed accounts. Some dopey accountants file more info than is required but I remain unconvinced that you can identify turnover for very many limited companies turning over around £5,000 per annum. Sole traders and partnerships do not have to file accounts in the public domain of course.
I doubt very much whether a limited company would survive with a turnover of around £5,000 p.a. Maybe a profit of that amount could be achieved with some creative accounting but I can't see for the life of me why anyone would want to work in a limited company with income of less than £100 per week - they would be better off on Universal credit!

Avening Posse

Living abroad I don’t watch the BBC, but their website is by far the most informative and diverse when it comes to me keeping up to date with all things UK. Much better than anything else out there currently.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I doubt very much whether a limited company would survive with a turnover of around £5,000 p.a. Maybe a profit of that amount could be achieved with some creative accounting but I can't see for the life of me why anyone would want to work in a limited company with income of less than £100 per week - they would be better off on Universal credit!
Whether they can survive or should be a limited company is another question. I have seen thousands of limited companies that barely generate any revenues, they shouldn't be a limited company however they are.

What is viable to do and what lots of people actually do are often opposites.

Last edited: