• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Auto(s) Charge

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Looking at the past two (full) seasons, 79 points was enough for an auto place, but the 2017/18 season it was 84 points. So it looks like we’ll still need 27 points, possibly as much as 30 to 32 to guarantee promotion.

We can’t afford a run of 2-3 games without a win. Hopefully we can win at least 6 of our 8 home games and then that’ll give us a great chance as our away form is also decent. But basically, take one game at a time and beat Barrow this Saturday, and then it’s onto Bristol Rovers.
After the next two games we have 14 left. They're split equally between tougher games against teams around us and 'easier' games against teams in the lower half of the table.

Wins against Barrow and Rovers would put us on 59 points.

If we win the 7 'easier' games and draw 4 of the harder ones then there's your 84 points.

Obviously, that will never happen...

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think it is a "legacy" only in that the 4 teams up and down system was introduced as part of the change to replace the regional third divisions with a third and fourth division.
When the Third Division was regionalised only the team finishing top of each division was promoted to what was then the old Second Division. The closest we came was finishing second behind Brentford in the Third Division South in season 1932/33. The following season 33/34 Brentford finished 4th and in 34/35 finished top and were promoted into the First Division where they stayed until being relegated at the end season 46/47 the season when football restarted following the end of WW 2.

As those of us of a certain age will know in those days it was a much leveller playing field in terms of finance and I have often wondered whether, if we had been promoted instead of Brentford, we might have gone on to flourish as they did……just a thought lol.

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
March will define our season - we have a run of:

Mansfield
Swindon
Salford
Crawley
Oldham
Port Vale

None of those will be easy.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Normally around 80 points takes you up automatically so another 30 should see us good.

There's still along way to go and things can change very quickly, as we've seen in recent weeks, so for me the table doesn't really mean a great deal at the moment. Show it to me again in 10 games time and then I really might start to believe.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Our head to head record with Bristol Rovers in all competitions is:

Played 93
Won 31
Drawn 31
Lost 31

I think its safe to say there isn't much between the 2 clubs, although no doubt Rovers fans would like to think they're the bigger club!

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
When the Third Division was regionalised only the team finishing top of each division was promoted to what was then the old Second Division. The closest we came was finishing second behind Brentford in the Third Division South in season 1932/33. The following season 33/34 Brentford finished 4th and in 34/35 finished top and were promoted into the First Division where they stayed until being relegated at the end season 46/47 the season when football restarted following the end of WW 2.

As those of us of a certain age will know in those days it was a much leveller playing field in terms of finance and I have often wondered whether, if we had been promoted instead of Brentford, we might have gone on to flourish as they did……just a thought lol.
Between 1921–22 and 1926–27, Argyle finished second in the new Third Division South six seasons in a row, thereby missing promotion

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Normally around 80 points takes you up automatically so another 30 should see us good.

There's still along way to go and things can change very quickly, as we've seen in recent weeks, so for me the table doesn't really mean a great deal at the moment. Show it to me again in 10 games time and then I really might start to believe.

STURTZ

March will define our season - we have a run of:

Mansfield
Swindon
Salford
Crawley
Oldham
Port Vale

None of those will be easy.
When do we play the tough teams?😁

Banksy

Sometimes I’m more bothered about us playing the ‘weaker’ teams , we seem to make harder work of it.
Watch us try to flatter not flatten Barrow this Saturday.What’s the betting we’ll make them look like Liverpool until we get our act together.
Now , if we smash them with a really commanding display instead of playing catch up after they’ve scored a lucky couple , I’ll really start to believe.🥳

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Between 1921–22 and 1926–27, Argyle finished second in the new Third Division South six seasons in a row, thereby missing promotion
indeed they did and speaking to my dad when he was still with us he said the general view amongst Plymouth supporters at the time was that, amazing is it may sound, it was a deliberate strategy.