• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Arsenal Stadium Mystery - featuring Cliff Bastin

Grecian 1901

I had a photo of Cliff and Jimmy Gumm , brother in laws father somewhere , but can’t find it to attach.Just the wedding account from the early thirties.Jimmy played for City on the wing.
View attachment 3366F
We have a digital copy. Help yourself! Cliff was in the film and we have his biography signed by Cliff and much more besides.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
I must admit i thought not many have seen or even heard of this film but nope seems quite a few people have watched it. One for TPTV to show i think.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I remember I watched this with my godfather not long before he passed away about 5 n half years ago. He told me a lot about cliff bastin and how he watched him at sjp in the 30's I think. Really nice to see this and remember that day.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've just watched parts of this on Youtube. The Arsenal (and England) captain was Eddy Hapgood. I used to play him every week at tennis in Weymouth in the mid sixties. He was 30 years older than me but could always give me a good thrashing. Unfortunately he died at the age of 64.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
I've just watched parts of this on Youtube. The Arsenal (and England) captain was Eddy Hapgood. I used to play him every week at tennis in Weymouth in the mid sixties. He was 30 years older than me but could always give me a good thrashing. Unfortunately he died at the age of 64.
Must have been interesting chatting to a fella who was signed by the legendary Arsenal manager Herbert Chapman & who played for England in the 1930s,when arguably they were the best team in the world despite the short sighted FA decision not to enter the World Cup of that decade.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
Must have been interesting chatting to a fella who was signed by the legendary Arsenal manager Herbert Chapman & who played for England in the 1930s,when arguably they were the best team in the world despite the short sighted FA decision not to enter the World Cup of that decade.
Olds, he was a very modest fellow. He didn't talk too much about his time at Arsenal (other than to complain about how poorly paid he was in comparison to more modern times!) . He was the warden at a youth centre at Weymouth and a little earlier had fallen on hard times. A friend of his had written to Arsenal about his plight and he told me they'd sent him a cheque for £20.
Had he taken tennis seriously he could have done very well on the professional circuit. He was extremely fit, even at 57.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes watched it many moons ago....also have the book.