• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Thank you Pierce Sweeney!!! (To Swindon Town and now Exeter)

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Can't say I'm really bothered either way about Sweeney. He had some great games but just as many woeful ones and regardless of what anyone tells me he was always carrying an extra stone of weight. Not acceptable for a professional athlete. Seemed a good bloke and I'm sure he was good for team morale but being the life and sole of the Xmas party shouldn't earn you a contract.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
A versatile defender who occasionally popped up in opposition penalty area to good effect.

Designated penalty taker with significant success for a number of months until one game when having already scored two goals he stepped up to take a penalty and missed badly.

This seemed to really affect his confidence overall and he struggled for a while.

Fell out of favour and started this last season with a very high squad number.

However instead of sulking he took the attitude “I’ll show them” buckled down and really fought for his place so much so that after a few months out in the cold he was back in the team and well worth his place.

Proved himself to be a strong character, a fighter and someone who does not give up easily.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Have they learned their lesson or will they can on as before?
If it is proven that Power sold a 50% share of Swindon's holding company to Michael Standing's First Touch Pro Management, then any "carrying on" that they do could well be at Conference level or lower. Agents are barred from owning clubs due to the potential conflict of interest.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not somewhere I would chose to go as a player right now, a financial basket-case with the "sword of Damocles" hanging over the Chairman's head.
I believe though that players contracts are protected in some way? Possibly through the PFA?

Good luck Pierce Sweeney! Will always remember that strike against Cheltenham. A great penalty taker as well until he missed one and then it was all downhill from there

StudentGrecian

I do wonder if our offer was maybe slightly poorer than his current deal? Or maybe he still wasn’t being guaranteed 1st team action?

At this level, if a player can get an extra £500 per week elsewhere, it’s a no-brainer for him to move on. And in all honesty, perhaps a move is best for both parties. That said, still sad to see him go.
Have to think he was offered reduced terms based on the way MT spoke after the retained list was announced. Although his good season earned him a contract offer, it felt like MT always had other plans going forward. Imagine it's a similar story with Page, although maybe he was more likely offered similar terms to last year. But having proven some level of fitness last season probably thinks he can get better elsewhere/closer to home.

Last edited:

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Have to think he was offered reduced terms based on the way MT spoke after the retained list was announced. Although his good season earned him a contract offer, it felt like MT always had other plans going forward.
Haven’t seen it mentioned but am I right in thinking he was given a 3 year contract by Tisdale just before he left. If that’s true it was presumably on pretty good money.

robchave

Always liked Sweeney. Great attitude and good last season. However, part of the team that has failed to get promotion, season after season. Good servant so good luck to him going forward. We move on too.

ExmouthMart

Lucky he still had a year on his contract at the end of last season or would have been out the door quicker than Aaron Martin. Harsh to say but not a great miss if we improve the quality of the team overall but we will have to wait and see about that in the next few weeks.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Have to think he was offered reduced terms based on the way MT spoke after the retained list was announced. Although his good season earned him a contract offer, it felt like MT always had other plans going forward. Imagine it's a similar story with Page, although maybe he was more likely offered similar terms to last year. But having proven some level of fitness last season probably thinks he can get better elsewhere/closer to home.
Maybe he was offered just s one- year contract. I wouldn't blame MT for that: Sweeney seems to need pushing to get the best out of him.