• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Thank you Pierce Sweeney!!! (To Swindon Town and now Exeter)

scottus86

Good squad player and a reliable versatile back up. One too many mistakes for a dead cert starter though. He got a lot of criticism for his distribution but when he pulled off the envisioned passes, they were usually quite incisive and defence splitting, some cracking crosses on him too.

Good luck Sweeney and thanks for the good times.

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Good squad player and a reliable versatile back up. One too many mistakes for a dead cert starter though. He got a lot of criticism for his distribution but when he pulled off the envisioned passes, they were usually quite incisive and defence splitting, some cracking crosses on him too.

Good luck Sweeney and thanks for the good times.
It wouldn’t be too difficult to put together a pretty impressive showreel for Sweenz only in truth despite being a top character he falls that little bit below the top level of player needed at this level...all the best Sweenz

IndoMike

The question is with losing Taylor, Sweeney, Parkes, probably Page, Law (mid-season) and Williams will we be signing anyone better or just replacing like with like.
Or maybe Taylor knows three or four of the young 'uns are ready for first team football?
Yes, I know there's plenty of time blah blah to sign the difference- makers, but just concerned we might be left on the shelf
Where's that bleddy whisky bottles. I'm fraught.

Rosencrantz

I liked Sweeney, think he got an unfair amount of stick on here. Definitely better players out there, but as a squad player I don’t think he would’ve been bad to keep. Wish him well.
Got an unfair amount of stick by a vocal minority in the stands as well which before this season was definitely getting to him. You could see it quite clearly from the Stanno Stand.

He has been a good servant to the club and better player than given credit for by some, particularly in the passing stakes. But with the current and future options at RCB probably a good time to move on whilst his stock is reasonably high.

iscalad

Thanks for the service he has given the club. Was fun at the Xmas party.
Good luck for the future

budegrecian

Has left in a dignified manner, thanking Tis, MT & Taggy.
A great character & a good guy to have in the dressing room, I'm sure. Had a very decent season, when it would have been easy to just take the money & sulk, after being told he could leave at the start of it.
We've got several right sided defenders so the wage saved may be utilised elsewhere.
I assume he's got another club lined up & I wish him well for the future.
I will remember his injury time winner at Bolton for a long time.

Banksy

Thanks for everything and being such a good servant to the club Pierce ! All the best for the future.

SaintJames

Indeed. The season started with the disrespectful way that MT treated Sweeney (stripped of squad number, made to train with the youth team) and has ended with both Sweeney and his closest friend Jake Taylor deciding to leave Exeter City.
Both leaving for totally different reasons. Sweeney had been on a contract that was reflective of a player who was a first eleven player. He left because Taylor put a contract to him that was on much reduced money as a squad player. Jake Taylor was one of our highest paid players. My own opinion is that we can get two better players for the same money. Tisdale seemed ultra loyal to his playing staff to the point of letting the players themselves decide if they wanted to stay on. Taylor is much more ruthless meaning if you underperform or dont apply yourself professionally like Sweeney, Ajose and Parkes you are out the door. Why should sentiment get in the way?

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I do wonder if our offer was maybe slightly poorer than his current deal? Or maybe he still wasn’t being guaranteed 1st team action?

At this level, if a player can get an extra £500 per week elsewhere, it’s a no-brainer for him to move on. And in all honesty, perhaps a move is best for both parties. That said, still sad to see him go.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
It does indeed look like he’s about to join Swindon. Could be announced today.