• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Thames AFC

GJW

Until tonight I had never heard of them. Only in existence for about 4 years, 2 of which they played in D3S with us from 1930 to 1932. Their record attendance was approximately 8,000 against Exeter City in August 1931. Their ground capacity was 120,000. Boy, you live and learn.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Never happened for them, not sure why anyone thought it would

Reactions: GJW

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
I lived with my grandparents for a while just off Victoria Docks and remember the West Ham ground.
I think they had a speedway team call The Hammers.

Colesman Ballz

I lived with my grandparents for a while just off Victoria Docks and remember the West Ham ground.
I think they had a speedway team call The Hammers.
And a dog track too, a larger version of the County Ground set up !

Oldsmobile-88

Until tonight I had never heard of them. Only in existence for about 4 years, 2 of which they played in D3S with us from 1930 to 1932. Their record attendance was approximately 8,000 against Exeter City in August 1931. Their ground capacity was 120,000. Boy, you live and learn.
I think they had a attendance of only 1,000 against the Grecians the following season.At the time one of the lowest crowds(if not the lowest)for a Saturday Football League fixture.
The 693 at Workington on a Saturday in Dec 1973 against the Grecians smashed that record.

Oldsmobile-88

There was a team called Manchester Central who were similar to Thames Association FC in the fact they sprung up from nowhere & disappeared just as quickly.
They applied to replace defunct Wigan FC in 1932,but the other Manchester teams did not want more competition on their doorstep & the application to the FL was turned down.

GJW

When I think of old football club names this little clip always springs to mind